JustKia

Default "A marriage has been arranged..."

Just curious as to the wording of a marriage announcement.
    Almost all of them run along the lines of "The engagement is annnounced..." but this one states "A marriage has been arranged and will take place shortly..."
    Would it be unfair to suppose the bride might have been pregnant at the time?

Jan1954

Perhaps it depends upon when this was. I have seen that a fair number of "A marriage has been arranged...." announcements in newspapers happen to fall during the various world wars. There could be any number of reasons for a short or non-existent engagement.

When was the announcement that you have come across?

JustKia

The announcement was in the Times 9th Oct 1935. The couple married in the 4thQtr of 1935

Reputation beyond repute

There are thousands of "marriage has been arranged" announcements in The Times! Why not try a search using that phrase? (Confine the search to the "People" section)

Jan1954

Just a thought but, what is to say that the happy couple had not been engaged for a while but had just not got round to "naming the day"? The engagement may (or may not) have been announced and, when the wedding was finally arranged, then that was then announced.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKia
    Would it be unfair to suppose the bride might have been pregnant at the time?
    Have you traced the firstborn child to see when they were born?

JustKia

I see, so it could be any number of reasons.
    It just seemed a bit "abrupt" in comparision to the other notices for this family at the time.
    I haven't been able to find any children of this marriage - yet. Time to trawl the indexes. I'll not post names as the children (if any) could well still be alive.