Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Crofter

Default The Duke of Sutherland

I am trying to look into the history of the Duke's Factors. Any leads please?

Regards,
    Crofter.

Peter_uk_can

Hi Crofter.

It isn't that we are cleverer than most, just that we are close friends with Uncle Google and his family.

MythicalMarian

Ahem - well, without Googling () - I wonder if Crofter is interested in the period of the Clearances? Sutherland's name has gone down in history as a bit of a rogue during that period. However, I thought it was the Duchess who was more the villain than the Duke.

Perhaps Crofter could let us know what period he needs and we can try to help from there.

There is a book called "Memoirs of a Highland Gentleman" written by Evander McIver, who was factor for the Sutherland estate at Scourie, published (from memory) in 1906. I have seen copies in NAS and in Inverness Library.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Crofter

There were 6 or 7 generations of Dukes of Sutherlands who presumably held lands in that fair county. The infamous Duchess was wife of the 1st Duke.

It would be fair to suppose that they all employed factors.

There were 6 or 7 generations of Highlanders who suffered Clearances of varying ferocity. They began long before the Sutherlands were Dukes. The period starting when they did become Dukes should narrow the period under discussion.

Clever Uncle Google and his family gives a dictionary definition of the term “Factor” and a few lines on Factor Sellar, which was not the answer to my appeal for help.

Your lead, however, Sue, sounds very promising. Thank you for that.

Regards,

Crofter.

Crofter

You may get some information from the following. Some have commercial links, so put www before all the URLs

countysutherland.co.uk (click on Site Map)

ambaile.org.uk/

The Statistical Account for Scotland (on Internet Archive)

Anything by Malcolm Bangor-Jones, who writes for Am Bratach
    (bratach.co.uk)
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Mutley

I am not sure how we are supposed to know from the initial request

The Duke of Sutherland

I am trying to look into the history of the Duke's Factors. Any leads please?

if the poster is a complete novice or one with more experience of the subject.

Obviously we now know, the poster has more experience and we may or may not be willing to respond accordingly.

Crofter

This man was an ancestral relative as were a lot of the people he mentions. Thanks.

Thanks again to you Sue, you have tapped a great lead there.

Mutley, who are the ‘we’ you refer to, and do they all temper their replies to postings with their own opinions of the experience or otherwise of the poster they are replying to?. Nevertheless, any response is welcome, so, have another medal.

Regards,

Crofter.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Crofter View Post
    Mutley, who are the ‘we’ you refer to, and do they all temper their replies to postings with their own opinions of the experience or otherwise of the poster they are replying to?. Nevertheless, any response is welcome, so, have another medal.

Regards,

Crofter.
    WE, are the 25,425 members of the forum.
    I repeat, that WE do not know if you are a novice member or an experienced member. WE can only respond to an initial post to the best of our knowledge which is what we try to do.

You have posted previously and answers to some of those posts were easily found on google. Quite often a member will experience difficulty using search engines and other members are able to find information more easily as has actually happened in your case.

But sarcasm is uncalled for.

I am glad that WE were able to help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast