Printer

Default Jessie Alexander - Helmsdale, Sutherland

Hello,

I am seeking any details about the parents/siblings of Jessie Alexander (b 1828 Helmsdale).

Nothing more known about her until she appears in 1851 Census, in Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. She married Peter Clark in 1842 at Stornoway. In 1872 Peter Clark died in Hutchesontown, Glasgow. I have only this week discovered that Jessie Clark emigrated to NZ, and arrived in Port Chalmers in 1875 with three daughters.

I am sorry I do not have any further details, but would be grateful for any info that might be provided. Thanks.

Printer

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Did Jessie marry again in New Zealand?
    Would her parents names be recorded on her death certificate?
    ChristineR

Printer

Hello ChristineR,

No. Jessie Clark never remarried.

Printer

Sheila V

Printer - are those dates correct - born in 1828, married in 1842? Seems very young. Perhaps you have two different Jessies?

Printer

Hello Sheila V,

There might be a mistake with the marriage date? I was told date of marriage as 9 August 1842 in Stornoway. Can someone please confirm this? In the 1851-1871 Census the age of Jessie is shown born c1827/8.

I have now managed to find her date of death - 1892 - in NZ and states age as 65 years.

Sorry to cause any confusion.

Printer

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Printer View Post
    Hello Sheila V,

There might be a mistake with the marriage date? I was told date of marriage as 9 August 1842 in Stornoway. Can someone please confirm this? In the 1851-1871 Census the age of Jessie is shown born c1827/8.

I have now managed to find her date of death - 1892 - in NZ and states age as 65 years.

Sorry to cause any confusion.

Printer
    The age given on death indicates about 1827 for the birth year, so 15 is better than 14. It was common enough for young girls to marry.

The New Zealand death certificate will give her parents names, her father's occupation, her mother's maiden name, her birth place and marriage details - but only as accurate as the knowledge of the informant.
    ChristineR

capsmum

Default Jessie Alexander

Hi,there's a Jessie Alexander on the 1841 census for Stornoway,she is age 13 and with Janet Kirkpatrick age 40 and Fanguhon McLennan (transcribers spelling-not mine!) address was Francis Street,parish number 88.
    HTH. capsmum

Printer

Hi ChristineR & capsmum,

I am applying for a copy of the death certificate. Will advise. Yes, I had found the 1841 census details, and again, the age is confusing. Death certificate should finally confirm what I would like to know. Thankyou for your replies.

Printer

Printer

Hi,

I have received the death certificate - parents details are blank!! The father's occupation "Farmer' and place of birth is Scotland. Obviously the informant, in this case, son-in-law, wasn't too bothered about detail.

Hoping that obtaining the death certificate would provide more names, I am now no better off. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Printer