Thread: Religion

lynoakley

Default Religion

Is there anyway you can trace relatives that have gone into religious orders? I believe some of my GG and GGG Aunts went in this direction and am having trouble finding them .....Lyn

v.wells

They should be on the census under their real names. Also deaths. If they went into RC Convents then the Catholic Family History society can often supply the convents they were in. Just google it. There are some indexes available thru them as well.

I have an gt aunt who was a nun.

You should post the names and maybe we will find them for you. If Irish the spelling is all over the place.
    Last edited by v.wells; 09-11-2009 at 8:38 PM. Reason: added last bit

Mutley

There is the
    Crockford's Clerical Directory that contains biographies of over 25,000 Anglican clergy in the UK and details of English, Welsh and Irish benefices.

I doubt if it covers those in religious orders. What religion would you be thinking of Lyn?

lynoakley

They were all R.C.

lynoakley

Smile

Sorry for the delay , had to find my notes. I have a Mary Joseph Molloy born in Wandsworth in 1885. also Margaret Molloy born in Wandsworth 1887. I also have Mary Josephine Molloy born in Galway 1852 . She had three sisters I cannot find, but don,t know if they followed her!!!

Mutley

Do you have the family in the 1901 and 1911 census?
    1901 has them all in Battersea but maybe by 1911 they have moved on to the convents. They should still be enumerated.

After 1911, maybe Vanessa's idea is the best to follow.

Mutley

In 1911 they lived at 32 Goulden Street, Battersea

John Prendergast born 1860 in Galway, a clerk
    Margaret his wife, born Clifton in Galway in 1864. Married 27 years.
    Mary Joseph born 1886 a housmaid
    Elizabeth born 1891 a dressmaker
    John Joseph born 1895 a junior Clerk
    Kathleen born 1897 at school
    Elenor born 1900 at school

RG14/2198 ED10

lynoakley

Eleanors daughter born in 1925, can remember them all except Mary and Margaret. She thought they went into religion, and said they weren't spoken about at home, so I thought I would try and find out about them