Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    paulrookie

Default Births in Malta 1853

Hi, trying to help a friend who has an ancestor born in 1853 in Valetta, Malta as British Subject shown on 1871 Census. Where would I go to find out any more details please? Not sure if father was Military or Diplomatic.

Thank you for any ideas,

paulrookie

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Hi Paul

I built a Site which has many Links to Family Research in Malta.

You can try a search there.

https://malta-family-history.blogspot.com

Do you have a name or some other piece of detail

All the best.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Paul

The following site may provide an answer:

https://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/index.htm

Martin

Reputation beyond repute

Have you searched the military indexes? GRO Army Chaplains' Birth Indexes and Regimental Birth Indexes are available on FMP and no doubt elsewhere.

Stephen Evans

Smile

Hi Paul,

Greetings from Malta G.C. if you would like to send some details to me I shall see what I can do from this island in the central Mediterranean.

Cheers,

Stephen Evans

dietabix

Hi Martin

Had a look at your Malta Family History Site

And guess what ! !

I found a relation who was out there in the Royal Artillery
    His marriage and the birth of two of his children

James Edward Leat & Annie McMellane Married 27 February 1897

James born 1868 Stoke on Trent & Annie McMellane ???
    Don't know where or when she was born, or her father

Annie's father Thomas McMellane,
    it seems was a Captain in the Royal Artillery.

I am thrilled to bits to have found this info

Thanks so much

Sue

Default Malta Research

Rove,

Had a look at your site- impressive and some very useful links.

I see that there is a description under the photo of St. Paul Shipwrecked in Valetta that they hold records for all the other parishes there. Is this correct ? I have not seen this mentioned elsewhere. I hope to visit this church, and others in the new year, and would hate to ask for something they dont have.

Cheeers..Ed

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Ed

I've done a lot of research in Malta during my visits 1992 and 1995. My main search was on the Bartolo Family of Floriana, a town which is a stone throw away from Valleta the Capital.

I made about 10 visits to the Floriana Parish and were very helpful but one needs to make an appointment and best times is about 10am and 3.30 pm. It was all free but one must always make a donation. I also visited the Senglea Parish three times. Got 6 certificates for free but handed a donation.

Floriana Parish records kept at the Parish start 1844. The priest told me anything earlier are at St Pauls in Valletta. At Senglea the priest shown me a large steel wardrobe full of Registers that went back to 1560. (did'nt have my camera with me) He told me these Registers have been copied and are kept at St Pauls Valletta.

I went to St Pauls in Valletta but they are flat out busy dealing with people wanting information. They will help you if you need just one piece of data but no more. They direct you to a pro researcher. Not many of these on the Islands.

I got on to a guy and he got me about 8 marriage records (he does not do births) for approx $30 Aust dollars. A great bargain. That was after two days wait.

A have an Englishman friend who retired in Gozo the sister Island and he got me quite a fair amount of data from the Parish of Nadur. All for free. This data was on the Bartolo family. Dont know if my friend is still living there.

My wife's family surname is Sultana and I'm doing research on the family. She has heaps of relatives over there but they are not very helpful.

Have fun.

paulrookie

Hi, thanks for replying. Jane Rolling 1853 in Valetta and her father was James Rolling in the 44th Foot of the Essex Regiment. Hope that is some use to you.

Regards Paul

Default Research in Malta

Quote Originally Posted by Rove View Post
    Ed

I made about 10 visits to the Floriana Parish and were very helpful but one needs to make an appointment and best times is about 10am and 3.30 pm. It was all free but one must always make a donation. I also visited the Senglea Parish three times. Got 6 certificates for free but handed a donation.

Floriana Parish records kept at the Parish start 1844. The priest told me anything earlier are at St Pauls in Valletta. At Senglea the priest shown me a large steel wardrobe full of Registers that went back to 1560. (did'nt have my camera with me) He told me these Registers have been copied and are kept at St Pauls Valletta.

I went to St Pauls in Valletta but they are flat out busy dealing with people wanting information. They will help you if you need just one piece of data but no more. They direct you to a pro researcher. Not many of these on the Islands.

I got on to a guy and he got me about 8 marriage records (he does not do births) for approx $30 Aust dollars. A great bargain. That was after two days wait.

My wife's family surname is Sultana and I'm doing research on the family. She has heaps of relatives over there but they are not very helpful.

Have fun.
    thanks for all that. Will have to make certain that we get to St. Pauls this time. We missed out last time because of not being certain of the office hours.

We were not as lucky as you at Floriana. We phone and made an appointment but when we turned up the office was closed. Waited an hour, finally got someone to open the door and was then advised that the priest was not there, but should be along shortly. Sat outside in the square for another hour, went back, another person opened the door and she said that the priest was not there on that day ever !! cant remember what day it was. This of course was before parish websites with the office hours clearly shown.

We had an entirely different experience at Cospicua, where the young priest we spoke to even photocopied the register page for. Also at Mosta, when wewere just going around having no iea then which parish we were looking for. The parish priest there spent a long time with us, and I think that he was just as dissapointed as we were when he couldndt find my grandmother in the baptism register.

I think that today many of the churches are getting a bit fed up with all these family history enquires, and who can blame them, that is not what they are there for.

I also used a researcher, who claims to have extracted most of the parish registers. Not cheap, and all you get is a straight back line through the marriages. OK for "genealogy"of course, but I am a family historian, and I need all the members of the family. It is not just my gran for instance, I need to know about her brothers and sisters and her aunts and uncles, because this is all part of her story.

Cheers ..Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast