Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rogier@cat3home

Question Which to order: birth or death Cert.?

Please have you any suggestions. I have a marriage Cert. for 1898 but in the Dec. Q of the following year 1899, both the wife dies and I suspect a son is born because in the 1901 Census he is farmed out to a relation and is listed as 'nephew' age 2.

My question is, which certificate will provide me with the most useful information? Both events take place in the West Ham Reg. Dist.

Is there any way of checking without the expense of certs?

Thanks in anticipation
    Cheers
    rogier

Lizzy9

The child's birth cert, will name his parents, and give an address. The death cert. will name the informant and informant's address, and address at time of death of the deceased.

Have you found the child's father on the 1901 census? Is the child living as a relative with his mother's, or his father's family?

We may be able to help you further if you give us names. places, etc

rogier@cat3home

Thanks Lizzy
    The 1901 just gives the relation to head of family as "brother"

If you'd like to check I have only ever seen a transcription: Piece 1585 Folio 11 Schedule 87 RG 13 11 Burke St West Ham. William age 33, born Badingham.

The son is living with an aunt who has recently married. I have that Census entry. It would be interesting to chase William junior up in the 1911 Census when it becomes affordable!

rogier@cat3home

Cont.
    The son is living with an aunt who has recently married. I have that Census entry. It would be interesting to chase William junior up in the 1911 Census when it becomes affordable because it gives his age as 11 instead of 12!

Lizzy9

You've omitted the surname

rogier@cat3home

Allum I'm off to bed now, Goodnight

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by rogier@cat3home View Post
    Allum I'm off to bed now, Goodnight
    Goodnight, you clearly need the brain to rest

Is this 'your' William in 1911?

Living with Walter and Annie White - nephew aged 11.

Walter's occ. was hairdresser.

Don't feel uncomforable asking for what you'd like to know, if it's possible everyone will do their best to help.

I too am ready for bed now, but if no-one has taken this further, I'll do more digging tomorrow.

Lizzy9

Could this be William snr in 1901?

William S Allum 23, Yardman on farm, b. Stradbroke Suffolk
    Ellen Allum wife 26 b, Mickfield, Suffolk
    Stanley W Allum 2 b. Stonham Earl, Suffolk

Strangely, although William and Ellen have been entered as unmarried, Ellen has been enumerated as William's wife????????

I definitely am going to bed to now

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Could this be William snr in 1901?
    William S Allum 23, Yardman on farm, b. Stradbroke Suffolk
    Ellen Allum wife 26 b, Mickfield, Suffolk
    Stanley W Allum 2 b. Stonham Earl, Suffolk

Strangely, although William and Ellen have been entered as unmarried, Ellen has been enumerated as William's wife????????
    Lizzy, it was definitely waaaay past your bedtime.
    Rogier has given William senior's census ref in message number 3.
    Piece 1585 Folio 11 Schedule 87 RG 13 11 Burke St West Ham. William age 33, born Badingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Goodnight, you clearly need the brain to rest

Is this 'your' William in 1911?
    Living with Walter and Annie White - nephew aged 11.
    Walter's occ. was hairdresser.

Don't feel uncomforable asking for what you'd like to know, if it's possible everyone will do their best to help.

I too am ready for bed now, but if no-one has taken this further, I'll do more digging tomorrow.
    If it ain't William junior then I'll eat my hat, as they are the same people he's living with in 1901.
    RG13/1583 folio 36 page 5

Rogier - I would settle for the birth certificate as that will tell you William junior's mother's first name and maiden name. The death certificate will tell you her married name, age at death, and the cause of death. Obviously it's interesting (but sometimes heartbreaking) to know the cause of death but that won't help you in going back another generation.
    The maiden name should help you establish which William Allum marriage is the correct one.

As an aside, when you get back to William senior born Badingham, be aware that the GRO Index has two William Allum birth registrations in Hoxne district (which contains Badingham) in 1866. One in September quarter, the other December quarter. Of course, it doesn't help that in the 1871 census there is no mention of even one William Allum being born or living in Badingham. Though there is one living in Wilby, which is also in Hoxne registration district. RG10/1741 folio 64 page 3
    Pam

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by rogier@cat3home View Post
    My question is, which certificate will provide me with the most useful information? Both events take place in the West Ham Reg. Dist.
    There can be no substitute for certificates, Rogier.

To see the information that is provided on birth and death certificates, click the links and scroll down for further details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast