Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rachandgarry

Default Brickwall 1 of 2... can you help?

Hi there

I have 2 brickwalls in my research, and I would dearly love someone to be able to help, but I fear it is not going to be possible.

To the point of this brickwall, I have been able to trace my family back quite thoroughly, and have managed to purchase the certificates for many events. This is what I know, going backwards on the relevant line, with the person in bold who I'm following:

Vivienne JONES, b 1944, d 1995
    Irene Florence Rose SELWYN, b 1918, d 1997 = Thomas John JONES
    Alfred George Cresswell SELWYN, b 22 Sep 1894, 11 Park Street, Milford Within, Salisbury and Beatrice CLARK.
    Alfred Cresswell SELWYN, b 2 Jan 1861 Hawley, Blackwater, Surrey/Hants and Lucy Eliza KING

It is this guy, Alfred Cresswell SELWYN's parents who are causing me the problem, well his father to be precise. His name changes over the years I can 'find' him and I don't know if it was intentional, accidental or what. It means, however, I can't find his birth or marriage. Here is the evidence:

The first time I can 'find' him for certain is in Jan 1861. He appears on his son's birth certificate as Alfred John SELWYN, Upholsterer. They lived in Hawley, Blackwater (Hants or Surrey, depending on the year!)

In 1862, on his daughter, Isabella Mary SELWYN's birth certificate, he appears as Alfred Selwyn, Upholsterer. Their address is 4 Haberdashers Place East, Hoxton Old Town, Middlesex.

On the 1871 census he appears as Henry SELWYN, born Middlesex, birth year approx 1830. Living at Lord Clyde Beer House, Aldershot.

In 1872 he appears on his 3rd son, George Cresswell SELWYN's birth certificate as Alfred Henry SELWYN, Retailer of beer, living in Ash Road, Aldershot. George died a few months later.

In July 1880 he dies of Bright's Disease at Sandpit Cottage, Alexandra Road, Aldershot, Hants, listed as an Upholsterer. He is named as Henry Cresswell SELWYN. Death was reported by his daughter, Isabella.

In 1892, his first son's marriage certificate shows the father's name as Henry Cresswell SELWYN (deceased), Upholsterer.

For clarification, his spouse was Emily RAWLINS, born approx 1834 Chichester Sussex to Cornelius and Elizabeth Rawlins (brick wall number 2, on separate thread lol).

It is a total mystery and I'm not getting anywhere. I don't have a record of his marriage to Emily Rawlins but I do know that in 1851 she was still at home in Southampton, and worked as an Upholsteress. He is listed as an upholsterer so I wonder if they perhaps met at work or something? I wonder where they worked? In 1851 she was in Southampton, we don't know where he was, but by 1861 they were living together in Aldershot as a married couple.

So, any ideas how I can track him? If he was born in 1829/1830ish then he has to have been somewhere in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses!

So, as Penelope Pitstop would say...."Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!" (please)

Thanks in advance

Rachel

Brick wall demolition expert!

Marriages Mar 1853
    CLEAVE Walter S Hampton 2c 45
    HARDING William Southampton 2c 45
    ORAM Rosena Southampton 2c 45
    RAWLINS Emily S Hampton 2c 45

Looks like Emily married someone else

perhaps

Deaths Sep 1855
    Cleave Walter Joseph Southampton 2c [1_]

or

Deaths Dec 1853
    Harding William Southampton 2c 19
    Deaths Jun 1856
    Harding William Southampton 2c 7
    Deaths Sep 1856
    HARDING William David Southampton 2c 17

Perhaps after this she never bothered with marriage

Rachandgarry

On the children's birth certificates, the mother's name and maiden name is listed as

Emily Selwyn, formerly Rawlins.

I know there is no guarantee that she didn't lie, but if she had been widowed I would have thought it would have said so? "would have thought" doesn't always bear fruit though lol..... have ordered the certificate for this entry:

LINK REMOVED

Where did the 4 names for marriage you listed come from? I don't recognise the format, sorry!

Thanks for your help by the way, much appreciated!
    Rachel
    Last edited by Mutley; 08-11-2009 at 4:46 PM. Reason: Removed a pay per view link

Mutley

MODERATORS NOTE
    Please read the AUP. You are not allowed to link to a commercial site or to copy and paste direct from another site.

For clarification, his spouse was Emily RAWLINS, born approx 1834 Chichester Sussex to Cornelius and Elizabeth Rawlins (brick wall number 2, on separate thread lol).
    See this thread for more information regarding Emily

Rachandgarry

My apologies.

The marriage certificate I have ordered is for 1853, Q1. Hampton. 2c pg 45

Regards
    Rachel

The source of the marriage and death information is FreebMD

You would not immediately recognise it because I enter it manually to comply with the AUP

Rachandgarry

Hi Raffaele,

Thanks for the info, I have now found freeBMD, yippee!

Having looked at it, the certificate I've ordered that hasn't arrived could well be delayed due to an error I made in the order. I put "Hampton" as the district, not realising it was S Hampton (as in sOUThampton) Doh! I checked it a few times but we decided the squiggle was part of the word above. I thought I checked the volume number on GenUKi but I couldn't have as now I have, and 2c is definitely Hampshire.

I will give GRO a call tomorrow and hopefully be able to sort it out.

So what did you type in to freeBMD to get all those names? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
    Rachel

I searched for the marriage of Emily Rawlins between 1850 and 1860
    Then when it appears click on the reference number
    You then get all the people on the page, normally 4 and sometimes 8
    As they are marriages in this instance one of two males could be the husband.

Lizzy9

Hi,

There's an Alfred Creswel [sic], with wife Maria on the 1851 census in St Marylebone. Alfred was born circa 1828, and an upholsterer born Bradstone Suffolk.HO107/1490/143/3

Lizzy9

1841 census.

Isabella is a popular name with this family. Living in Essex, all born out of county.

T T Selwin [sic] 50
    Isabella 32
    Henry John 14
    Isabella Mary 13
    Gertrude L J 8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast