Thread: Sampson Thorpe

paul1801

Smile Sampson Thorpe

Hi does anyone have a Sampson Thorpe in their tree?

I think he was living in Codnor Derbyshire in 1841 as seen in the census records, he is the informant on two of my ancestors death certificates.
    I was wondering if anyone had a marriage for him as I am trying to work out if he was related or simply a good neighbour,

thanks
    Paul

Keyboard86

Quote Originally Posted by paul1801 View Post
    Hi does anyone have a Sampson Thorpe in their tree?

I think he was living in Codnor Derbyshire in 1841 as seen in the census records, he is the informant on two of my ancestors death certificates.
    I was wondering if anyone had a marriage for him as I am trying to work out if he was related or simply a good neighbour,

thanks
    Paul
    Hi Paul why not post details of your relatives and any census refs to see if we can trace a link?
    Keyboard86

paul1801

Question Thorpe

I believe there was a Cutler family in Codnor for several years who may have been non conformists as the records are incomplete, I have also noticed that there are also many "Thorpes" hence looking for a connection re death certs

Elizabeth Cutler

19 Jun 1852, listed as the widow of John Cutler ??aged 72

General decline 6 months, certified.

Informant X the mark of Sampson Thorpe in attendance Codnor.

John Cutler aged 65

Informant X the mark of Sampson Thorpe in attendance Codnor.

any thoughts? anyone

Hi Paul
    My thoughts
    Sampson was the son of a married daughter of theirs???
    I haven't any records to check for that area, but on the 1851 census, he and Elizabeth lived close to each other.
    Thorpe Sampson, age 41, piece 2125, Folio 423, Schedule 165
    Cutler Elizabeth age 70, piece 2125, Folio 423 Schedule 161

Records for this area may be either Belper or Basford (Nottinghamshire) so you should check both of these records offices, not just Derbyshire's.

Hope this helps

Mutley

There is a marriage on Free BMD registered in Nottingham in Sept 1855 for

Sampson Thorpe
    Jane Fretwell
    Samuel Holland
    Eliza Gelsthorpe

The 1861 Census has a Sampson Thorpe born 1810 in Codnor
    with Jane Fretwell born 1813 in Shipley as a Lodger.
    RG9/2431; Folio: 20; Page: 14

The same in 1871
    Jane Fretwell is the housekeeper for
    Samuel Thorpe age 82 and Sampson Thorpe age 61
    RG10/3476; Folio: 72; Page: 31

I know it is nothing to do with your Cutler family but I found it confusing. I'll try to get my head around it.

Mutley

I had an idea, Sampson may have been a doctor, an undertaker or had an occupation that meant he witnessed deaths often.

But he was a framework knitter, so no help there.

pottoka

Smile IGI

There is a submitted record on the IGI for a marriage for Sampson to a Mrs Mary Thorp in about 1834 ... what anyone could work out from the 1841 Census where he is living with a Mary who is 5 years younger than him and three young children!

That is if you enter Sampson in Derbyshire. Entered in Nottinghamshire, there are two extracted records:
    • marriage on 30th December 1830 to Letitia Hollis at St Nicholas' Church in Nottingham
    • marriage on 10th August 1835 to Mary Brough at Selston, Nottinghamshire

paul1801

Question Cutler

Hi again,
    Codnor/Derbyshire is very near to Seston in Nottinghamshire so that is a possibility.

I have found Sampson in the 1841,51,61 and 1871 census, Mary his wife only shows in the 1841 only, not sure who or what happens to her.

I have looked at several online databases but cannot find a suitable marriage for Sampson and Mary.

Could she have been related to the Cutler family ??

In 1851 Sampson is back living with his parents Samueland Catherine in Codnor, working as a framework knitter.

Paul

pottoka

Sampson is shown as a widower on the 1851 Census.

There are six death registrations for females named Mary Thorpe in Basford R.D. between 1841 and 1851:
    • in 1843 (first quarter)
    • in 1844 (first, second and fourth quarters)
    • in 1845 (fourth quarter)
    • in 1849 (fourth quarter)

It would be best to see the Parish Registers for Codnor for the burial to find out which one was Sampson's wife.