Thread: Lydstep

stonepits

Default Lydstep

Slightly different request in that I am looking for information on a cottage rather than on people. We've just bought a cottage in Lydstep that appears to be 150-200 years old. We seen it on old Victorian maps and there is a sketch of it as part of a larger picture in the local pub but we are keen to find out about its history and the people that lived there. The old Deeds and Title documents have disappeared as the land is registered and all we've got is the land registry certificate. Any thoughts, suggestions etc where we can find information would be welcome.

Procat

Findmypast has address searches available for most of the census now. You could search the location and try to narrow it down if it is near to the pub - this would probably be named in the census even if street numbers do not appear.

The 1881 census on the Family Search web site has an address search and is free.

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by stonepits View Post
    Slightly different request in that I am looking for information on a cottage rather than on people.
    Go up the Rec Off at the Castle H'west, the staff have created a booklet on how to search the history of your house. Have a look and locate your cottage on the 1901 O.S. map which you should then be able to x/ref against the 1901 census in the Rec Off.
    Lydstep was in the main the estate of the Adams family, the social centre of Haven holidays was part of there ancestoral property, their main residence being Holyland House Pembroke, so the Adams papers may well give you information. If your cottage turns out to be on old Adams land, then you can consult all the Adams wills at the E.C.C. of St David's and the TNA which will probably give lease/occupies at various times. Its pointless giving you a list of research, since the booklet from the Rec Off will be far more comprehensive.
    Try Tenby Museum, they do hold some information, but whether it stretches to Lydstep is another matter.
    If you are passing there is a F.H. day on the 14th Nov., at Pembroke St Mary when the Rec Off will be in attendance, as well as Dyfed F.H.S.
    If you do not reside full time at Lydstep then there is also a F.H. day at Swansea Maritime Museum on the 14th Nov also, at which I shall have a small/limited and very free Pembroke research stand.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro
    ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

Hollytree

Hi

If your house is, as you say, over 150 years old then you should be able to find it in the Tithe maps, that too should give information of ownership, especially if there was anyland attached. The Tithe map comes with an apportionment schedule which lists owner and who is occupying the property and if land, what it is being used for.

The record office should be able to tell you where the Tithe maps are, I found them for my house (I live in Monmouthshire) at the National Library of Wales, and as it is a small parish was able to get good copies from them too.

Good luck

Anne