Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cesca

Default Rev Charles Carroll Curate at Oola, Tipperary

Am trying to find out as to which Parish he was curate at. He was appointed curate of Oola, Diocese of Emly, Tipperary in 1863.

He is also mentioned in Thom's Directory as having been at Clashmore, Diocese of Lismore, in 1877, 1880, 1884 and 1890.

Does anyone know where I could get a listing of Church of Ireland clerics during the above periods.

Thanks

Jan1954

If you have a look at Parish Chest and pop "Church of Ireland" into the search box, a number of publications come up. Have a look and see if any of those would help.

Cesca

Default Rev Charles Carroll Curate at Oola

Thanks for that, will have a look at Parish Chest, am sure it will be of help
    Cheers
    Cesca

Geoffers

Haev you tried Crockford's Clerical Directory? There may be a partial run at a local record office or a larger reference library - otherwise, try Jan's suggestion, or even contact Lambethpalacelibrary.org

Cesca

Geoffers, Have tried Crockford's, but without success. However I emailed Church of Ireland, RCB Library in Dublin, and they very kindly sent me details of my Rev Charles Carroll's religious appointments, including details of when he gained his BA and MA at Trinity College, Dublin.

Now all I have to do is try and find out which parishes he was in!

Details I received were:-

1859 - Ordained Deacon
    1859 - 1861 Curate Templetuohy
    1860 - Priest Cashel
    1861 - 1868 - Curate Oola
    1868 - Vicar Clashmore (Lismore)
    1878 - 1902 Vicar Kinsalebeg

Died 14th April 1904, aged 70

I also want to find out where he died, but would assume that it was in and around Kinsalebeg, as that was his last ministerial appointment.

I reliase that you do not live in Ireland, but perhaps you may - yet again, be able to give me some suggestions as to what to do next!
    Cheers
    Cesca

Geoffers

Have a look at this thread dealing with Irish BMD or use a search engine for 'GRO Ireland'

On the assumption that you cannot just nip over to Ireland, you might also try newspapers (does a record office near you have access to the Gale Group Newspapers; or possibly try the Times Archives online).

Also, if you have a record office near you, give them a call to see if they have the Probate Calendar (it is an index to wills and admons) on film and if it covers 1904 (Southern Ireland was still then in the UK). Entries in the probate calendar include date and place of death.

Cesca

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Have a look at this thread dealing with Irish BMD or use a search engine for 'GRO Ireland'

On the assumption that you cannot just nip over to Ireland, you might also try newspapers (does a record office near you have access to the Gale Group Newspapers; or possibly try the Times Archives online).

Also, if you have a record office near you, give them a call to see if they have the Probate Calendar (it is an index to wills and admons) on film and if it covers 1904 (Southern Ireland was still then in the UK). Entries in the probate calendar include date and place of death.

You are correct in saying that I cannot just 'nip over to Ireland', so I shall follow your suggestions in trying newspapers/Time Archives online.

Didn't know Southern Ireland was still in the UK in 1904 (sorry if I offend anyone by my lack of knowledge on Ireland's history).

Do you think I am correct in assuming that as Rev Carroll's last placement was in Kinsalebeg, Co Waterford, that he died in and around that area?

Also, are there any surviving 1901 census records for that area, if so, where?

Your thoughts on my comments are eagerly awaited.

Cheers
    Cesca

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Cesca View Post
    Also, are there any surviving 1901 census records for that area, if so, where?
    According to the National Archives of Ireland:

1901 Census material, with all data transcribed, will be launched between late 2009 and early 2010.

So - not long to go!

Cesca

Default Rev Charles Carroll Curate at Oola

Thanks all for your prompt responses to my last posting. I shall keep plodding on .... and on ... and on .... am sure I shall find out more info somewhere along the line. Looking forward to the 1901 irish census on line! Sure I can get lots of answers from it.
    Thanks
    Cesca

Mutley

Try putting North Tipperary Genealogy Centre into google.
    It is pay per view but I have some births, marriages and the 1901 census for Nenagh in Tipperary.

Tipperary is there, Waterford is coming soon.

The Irish Times is worth a look
    Irishroots is another site that may be of use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast