cguil_uk

Question Family History Web ISP / Hosting Service recommendations please

GeoCities current owner Yahoo! is planning on closing down GeoCities soon, perhaps as early as this summer.

My genealogy web site is on a Geocities account, so need a good, reliable and reasonably priced replacement. Any recommendations please?

They do say that they will transfer my site to the Yahoo web hosting service, when the time comes, but I do not know how good they are.

MarkJ

I won't recommend a suitable replacement - I am not sure what your needs would be (e.g do you need to run scripts, how much space do you need etc), but I will pass on one little bit of advice

Make sure that you make a full backup of your site now, whilst you can. The plug is going to be pulled at some point and sometimes these things are done very suddenly! AOL did a similar thing to their Hometown hosting a while ago - which left a lot of people without access to their websites to make backups etc.

Mark

Mary Young

It's worth checking what you can get from your ISP - most give you a reasonable amount of free space.

gibo

Hi - I don't believe you need to pay any money. There are many free web site offers but mostly they include advertisements showing on your site EXCEPT one.
    It is called 110mb.com. They have a file manager that helps you set up and it is relatively easy to do. I have been using them for about a year or so without any hassles. I used to use 50webs.com but they have some limitations and make 110mb stand out better e.g. gibo.110mb.com works as well as //gibo.110mb.com
    You can easily get your family name (or similar) within the address.
    Check them out at 110mb.com Good luck.

Ann.McClean

I use *FreePages*, part of the Rootsweb (now Ancestry) family

accounts.rootsweb.ancestry.com

No restrictions on number of pages - there are some sites in excess of 10,000 pages - makes my 600+ site look rather meagre!

Rootsweb provide a FTP, page counters and GuestBook facilities - all free + the very helpful FreePages mailing list for sorting out problems.

HTH someone

This has been discussed before, you get what you pay for.

I have just checked my site and it is showing 151 MB out of 3072 MB available and I pay for the domain and web hosting. It started as 6 pages and now in the hundreds, so I think I was wise to start with, as suggested by Ann and then moved to my own domain later.
    I am happy with the provider and will pass on their details by PM.

SBSFamilyhistory

just a though, I am sure others would also like me want to know, how much does this sort of venture cost?

Sue

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    just a though, I am sure others would also like me want to know, how much does this sort of venture cost?

Sue
    All depends on what you want Sue.
    There are free website hosting accounts - e.g your ISP one perhaps - and hosting you pay for which increases in price as you require more features/bandwidth.

If you want *really* cheap, but still want full access to do as you wish, then you may wish to consider running your own server at home But that is not for folks who are not familiar with server stuff such as Apache or IIS.

I wanted full access on my hosted sites - the ability to run scripts, host online games etc. Because I (vaguely) know what I am doing, I wanted root (admin) access to my server, the ability to install such things as php etc etc. That costs more than a basic account. I actually had a basic account with another hosting company - which was free for me as I had done some work for one of the owners of the server - but it was a bit flaky and didn't have the ability to run scripts that I wanted.

Prices vary - a look at the well known companies will give you some price ideas. But for something commercial - where you need 100% uptime or as near as possible - you will be paying big money

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post

Sue
    Hi Sue
    The domain costs vary with whether it is a .co.uk, .com or .whatever, £6-9 a year.
    The server costs can vary from provider to provider. Mine was offering first year free, then it works out to be about £15 per year, plus VAT
    I will not name them on the open forum, as they are commercial, but happy to in a PM.

P.S. they provide 24/7 support via web chat, which only once a problem had to be referred to their technical department (some idiot changed the PHP password and forgot what it was!)
    Last edited by Neil Wilson; 30-12-2009 at 7:42 PM. Reason: P.S. added

raineshoe

I host all my sites through Web Hero. They are a US company and I've used them since they started about 15+ years ago. I have at least 6 sites hosted with them and even with the time difference their support response is excellent. That's my experience anyway. I am sure they are not the cheapest out there, but certainly I agree with another poster you pay for what you get.

Also, I've seen this but don't know if they are any good as I've never used them. They are a company called Family History Hosting. Not sure if I can post their link but if you put www. before the title and .com at the end you will probably find it.

Anyhow as someone else said it will also depend on your requirements as to what you go for.