lornag2

Default Genealogical term?

Does the word/name/term Linageth mean anything in genealogical circles? I have found it on my late cousin's family tree, beneath Cuthbert Raymond = Elizabeth, then a reference to Walter Raymond, Poet and Writer of Somerset.

I know Cuthbert and Elizabeth were ancestors of Walter Raymond, because I have traced the tree myself, so I wondered if it was a term for 'the line of'.

I have puzzled over this for several years and at first thought it was a name, so I would appreciate any help to resolve this.

Lorna

busyglen

I tried searching Google, but the only thing that came up was in a foreign language! One was in German. I tried with the UK search and it brought your post up querying this word. (Fast aren't they?)

It's not a word I've ever heard of, but perhaps some of the other Gene buffs may have.
    It certainly could be something along the lines you suggest, given where you saw the word etc.

Hope someone has a better idea.

Glenys

Mutley

Sorry, I can't find anything other than some foreign sites listed.
    Cuthbert does seem to have been Walter's father.

There is a write up on Walter if you google for exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk

On the same page for marriages in Yeovil in Sep 1845 is Cuthbert Raymond and Elizabeth Symes so it is not her maiden name.
    Walter Raymond birth registered in June 1852 in Yeovil 5c/549
    Last edited by Mutley; 30-10-2009 at 3:02 PM. Reason: Link is Commercial, sells stuff!

Peter_uk_can

I know that "Lynyeth" is a Cornish word meaning Lineage.

I only know this because it appeared in an old Jersey document that I was working with many many years back. The author originated from Cornwall and although was writing in a combination of Jersey French and English must have pulled this word from his memory banks.

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_uk_can View Post
    I know that "Lynyeth" is a Cornish word meaning Lineage.

I only know this because it appeared in an old Jersey document that I was working with many many years back. The author originated from Cornwall and although was writing in a combination of Jersey French and English must have pulled this word from his memory banks.
    It is indeed Peter Lineage or ancestry.

(Must admit I had to look it up in my dictionary as I hadn't come across it before!)

Mark

lornag2

Thank you all for your response. It looks as though I might be on the right track, if a similar word means lineage or ancestry. This would make sense in the context.

Cuthbert Raymond 1676 and Elizabeth were Walter Raymond's ggggrandparents. Cuthbert was one of eight Cuthberts', the earliest I have found being c1575.

It is a long shot, but I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find a photo of Walter Raymond. I had one in one of his books, but it has gone awol. My father resembled him and it was obvious they shared the same genes.

Thanks,
    Lorna

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by lornag2 View Post
    It is a long shot, but I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find a photo of Walter Raymond. I had one in one of his books, but it has gone awol. My father resembled him and it was obvious they shared the same genes.

Thanks,
    Lorna
    There are quite a few of his books available on Amazon, including one called 'Walter Raymond - The Man - His Work and Letters by Evelyn V. Clark and Somerset & Her Folk Movement by Walter Raymond'. That has as its frontispiece 'Walter Raymond at Withypool' which, when you look at sample pages, does not appear, probably for copyright reasons if it's a photograph; it sounds as though it could well be one (but that's just my opinion!).

lornag2

Thank you for finding this information Pottoka, but I already have the book and several others written by him. The picture you couldn't see is a watercolour drawing by J H Thorpe. I haven't seen the original, but the reproduction is not particularly good and is full length, therefore he face can't be seen in any detail. The photo I originally had was a lovely studio portrait, but I can't remember which of his books it was in. Some of his books are available to read online, but not as far as I can see, the one with the frontispiece.

Anyway, I appreciate your efforts to find this for me.