Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Spouse in 'clink'

I have found that as of the 1901 cesnus, the father of the lady my Great-Uncle married, was incarcerated in Bodmin prison in Cornwall.

His name was - Karl Hugo Ahlstedt. He was aged 26.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Colin

MarkJ

Nothing in Crocat - the Cornwall Records Office online catalogue under Ahlstedt (or Alstedt) I am afraid Colin.

Mark

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Nothing in Crocat - the Cornwall Records Office online catalogue under Ahlstedt (or Alstedt) I am afraid Colin.

Mark
    Like you, Mark, I've found nothing either. What other resources are there? Could he have been convicted of something in Devon or Wales and being married and with family in Cornwall been sent to Bodmin?

With him being the father of the girl my Gr.-Uncle married, I'd like to know how much of a scoundrel, if any, he was

Cheers
    Colin

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge
    I've found nothing either. What other resources are there?
    Looking for details of a conviction can be problematic without knowing date and place of conviction. Have a look at TNA's signposts scroll down and look to the right of the page under 'Criminals, Bankrupts and Litigants' - there are a couple of links to click on 'Criminal trials and convictions' and 'Prisoners'.

Some newspapers can be searched online and may record a trial if it was newsworthy.

Colin Rowledge

Default Spouse in Clink

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Looking for details of a conviction can be problematic without knowing date and place of conviction. Have a look at TNA's signposts scroll down and look to the right of the page under 'Criminals, Bankrupts and Litigants' - there are a couple of links to click on 'Criminal trials and convictions' and 'Prisoners'.

Some newspapers can be searched online and may record a trial if it was newsworthy.
    With my limited knowledge of TNA I followed the link as per above, but it appears that reords are not available on trials after 1899. I realize that he was 'inside' in 1901 and cannot locate on the 1911 census

Could a 'local' newspaper have written something? The Cornish Studies Library may be able to help, but would still need a reasonable date to assist them in searching for articles and this I don't have

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Colin

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge
    Could a 'local' newspaper have written something? The Cornish Studies Library may be able to help, but would still need a reasonable date to assist them in searching for articles and this I don't have
    A newspaper local to where the crime was committed may have carried a report on the case, indeed they are often the best source - BUT - someone being in prison in Bodmin does not necessarily give an indication as to where the offence was committed - or when.

ET in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    ...I realize that he was 'inside' in 1901 and cannot locate on the 1911 census

Colin -did you find the rest of his family in 1911 ? Being a Seaman in 1901 [his listed occupation even though in prison] might mean that he was at sea somewhere in 1911.
    Elaine

ET in the USA

You probably already know all this.
    In 1901 Annie Ahlstedt -sister - Married- age 28 b. 1873 St. Kevern, Cornwall was a Charwoman living with her 23 year old single brother William Lugg [head]. Niece Bessie Ahlstedt age 4 born Gwithian Cornwall was there also. [ref: RG13/2246 Folio 56 Page 11]

In 1911 William Mitchell Lugg age 33 is married [for 6 years] and has a child & is still living in Redruth, Cornwall, but no sign of Annie or Bessie/Elizabeth. [ RG14PN1400 RG78PN834 RD299 SD4 ED1 SN305]

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ET in the USA View Post
    You probably already know all this.
    In 1901 Annie Ahlstedt -sister - Married- age 28 b. 1873 St. Kevern, Cornwall was a Charwoman living with her 23 year old single brother William Lugg [head]. Niece Bessie Ahlstedt age 4 born Gwithian Cornwall was there also. [ref: RG13/2246 Folio 56 Page 11]

In 1911 William Mitchell Lugg age 33 is married [for 6 years] and has a child & is still living in Redruth, Cornwall, but no sign of Annie or Bessie/Elizabeth. [ RG14PN1400 RG78PN834 RD299 SD4 ED1 SN305]
    Hi [and welcome back]

Yes, I had this and was curious as to where they disappeared to. Currently am awaiting marriage cert's for Bessie/Ellzabeth who married Frederick Golley

Cheers

SueL

Karl was married in Redruth in 1896 (see FreeBMD) so whatever/wherever his crime, it was after 1896

Hope this helps?
    regards,
    SueL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast