Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Ahlstedt family - where from? Name spelled c

My grandfather's family [Golley] was looking good. 1 brother and 2 sisters all nicely fitted in with spouses, dates of marriage, children and dates of birth etc. And then Great Uncle Fred. had to throw a spanner in the works!!!

Here's the situation:
    Frederichk Charles Golley married Elizabeth Ahlstedt in early 1928. Both Fred and Elizabeth were 30 years old and neither previously married - this is known but will be confirmed when marriage certificate arrives. There son Ernest [named after Fred.'s brother] late 1928.
    No problem so far.

Elizabeth is the daughter of Karl Hugo and Annie Ahlstedt - nee Lugg. Hugo [as he was known] and Annie married in 1896. Elizabeth was born in 1897.
    Now it get's a little murky. The 1901 census lists Bessie [as she is now known] living with her mother and staying with her brother and 2 unmarried sisters in Connor Downs, Gwithian. Annie has a f/t job as a Charwoman. No sign whatsoever of Karl Hugo. What happened to him? Annie Lugg is OK - she was born in St.Keverne in 1874 and I've sorted her side out OK!!

Karl Hugo was also born in St. Keverne in 1874. He was the son of Karl Oskar and Elizabeth Barrett. who had married in 1873. The 1881 census shows Elizabeth [now known as Bessie] - as a widow with 3 children [a son aged 7, a son aged 3 and another son aged 2]. The 2 younger boys were born in Swansea, Wales and the eldest in Phillack, Cornwall. Bessie is a Dressmaker.
    I found Elizabeth on the 1871 census, but no sign of Karl Oskar

I decided to look for other children born between between 1869 and 1874.

I've checked 1871 census and found nothing. The 1881 census lists the following:
    Charles son of Mary Ahlstedt - widow - living with parents in Mevagissey.
    They're missing in 1891 but in 1901 Charles is married, living in Stoke in Teignhead, Devon and mother Mary - still a widow living with them.

No trace of the other 3 children anywhere after their birth:
    Frederica Willhimina Ahlstedt - Jul q 1871
    John Charles H. Ahlstedt - Jul q. 1873
    Mary Elvina Ahlstedt - Apr. q 1874
    I believe the 3 kiddies above are siblings but can't prove it

How do I go about resolving this one?

Hope to heck I haven't confused everyone.

Cheers
    Colin
    ps
    "and off to bed"

Is this any use?
    1901 census RG13; Piece: 2201; Folio: 91; Page: 33.

Carl Hage Alstedt, prisoner in Bodmin, Cornwall 26, born Glamorgan Wales.

Could this be Bessie/Elizabeth in 1891
    RG12; Piece: 1852; Folio 51; Page 36;

Samuel H Osborne head Married 36 Tea dealer born Camborne
    Bessie Osborne wife 36 born Hayle Cornwall

William Ahlstedt stepson 14 Blacksmith apprentice born Swansea Glamorganshire
    Alexander Ahlstedt stepson Mason's apprentice born Swansea

Beatrice M Osborne age 1 born Cornwall Hayle

Apologies if I am way off beam - tilers are sawing away at tiles and some twit is revving his chainsaw. I need to

Christina

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Is this any use?

Hi
    If this is my guy, then all I can say is "what God-awful spelling" the enumerator was 'blessed with'. On the other hand it could be his accent?

Anyway, the age would be correct, But he states he was born in St. Keverne. Wonder what he was in prison for and how long the sentence was? Is it possible he would have been deported after finishing his sentence?

Swansea howver is in Glamofgan, Wales, so there may be a connection to your 2nd post which I'll address after brekkie.

Thanks
    Colin

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Anyway, the age would be correct, But he states he was born in St. Keverne.
    Always take the place of birth as being a guide, rather than a fact

If someone is born in Glamorgan for example, but the family move to St Keverne when the child is young (and by that I mean pre-school or even a bit older, not just tiny babies) they probably will not remember their original home - certainly not clearly. Unless the child is specifically told exactly where they were born, they can only go on what they think is the correct place.

I can vouch for this myself - I had to fill in a form which asked for my place of birth. I put down what I believed to be correct, but, when I dug out my birth certificate some time later, I had given the wrong place! OK, the two places were not as far apart as Glamorganshire and Cornwall, but they were certainly a fair few miles apart!

Mark

Colin Rowledge

Could this be Bessie/Elizabeth in 1891
    RG12; Piece: 1852; Folio 51; Page 36;

Samuel H Osborne head Married 36 Tea dealer born Camborne
    Bessie Osborne wife 36 born Hayle Cornwall

William Ahlstedt stepson 14 Blacksmith apprentice born Swansea Glamorganshire
    Alexander Ahlstedt stepson Mason's apprentice born Swansea

Beatrice M Osborne age 1 born Cornwall Hayle

Apologies if I am way off beam - tilers are sawing away at tiles and some twit is revving his chainsaw. I need to

Christina
    Hi - yes it is them. Hugo would have been 17 at the time of 1891 census. William and Alexander were his brothers.

Do you have any idea as where Hugo was in 1891? Given his marriage in 1896 and being in prison in Bodmin in 1901, could he have been institutionalized in 1891, released after that census was completed, moved to St. Keverne where he met Bessie and got married?

I suppose I'd better try and get his marriage certificate to confirm kis place of birth and father's name and occupation..

Karl Oskar is still an unknown quantity.

Cheers
    Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

Never knew Ahlstedt was so common

Births Mar 1869
    Ahlstedt Charles Henry B St. Austell 5e 143
    Births Sep 1871
    AHLSTEDT Frederica Willhilmina St. Austell 5c 127
    Births Dec 1873
    Ahlstedt John Charles H Redruth 5c 260
    Births Jun 1874
    Ahlstedt Mary Elvins St Austell 5c 139
    Births Mar 1879
    Ahlstedt Alexander Lateman Swansea 11a 695
    Births Dec 1879
    Ahlstedt Emma Bolton 8c 342

Thought they might just help as it tracks the family

Is this any use?

My apologies Colin - I shouldn't post when there is chaos around me.
    I missed the 'h' is Ahlstedt which is correct on the original. Also correct is Hugo but mistranscribed. Carl is with a 'c' not a 'k' on the original image.
    There is an occupation for him, also but I can't make it out. Steam ?
    To be deported he would have to have been born elsewhere - Sweden perhaps as I note there are a lot of Ahlstedt's born there. Transportation was no longer in operation.
    Christina

Colin Rowledge

My apologies Colin - I shouldn't post when there is chaos around me.
    I missed the 'h' is Ahlstedt which is correct on the original. Also correct is Hugo but mistranscribed. Carl is with a 'c' not a 'k' on the original image.
    There is an occupation for him, also but I can't make it out. Steam ?
    To be deported he would have to have been born elsewhere - Sweden perhaps as I note there are a lot of Ahlstedt's born there. Transportation was no longer in operation.
    Christina

No apology necessary, Christina - the main thing is you found him and that's the important part. Sometimes I think that the C in my name stands for CHAOS as it certainly is prevalent with me !!

Anyway he was definitely born in the UK [either Glamorgan or St. Keverne] and as you say deprtation wasn't appropriate and in 20th c. we weren't sending con's to OZ or Devil's Island.

Still somewhat of an unknown ancestry and but who knows - maybe someone will luck on to passenger ships lists from Sweden or wherever the family originated.

Haven't had any luck yet with finding a criminal record - see the thread there
    and Mark's reply.

Will keep looking [and hoping]

Cheers
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Karl Hugo was also born in St. Keverne in 1874. He was the son of Karl Oskar and Elizabeth Barrett. who had married in 1873. ps
    Should this be Elizabeth BRYANT?
    Christina

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast