The earliest entry in my mother's family bible is for the birth of Peter McLelland born, April 30th 1838 in Glenluce Wigtownshire. He married and died in Dewsbury Yorkshire where I was brought up. I am interested to find out more about my Scottish ancestry. Peters parents were John McLelland and Agnes Gardner. I have some cufusion over the McLellands, in 1841 Peter aged 3 lived with 2 brothers and parents John ( a shoemaker) and Agnes at Main Street Glenluce. In 1851 he seems to appear in the census twice! At his mothers address-Main Street Glenluce as an Agric. Lab.age 12, when his mother is recorded as a shoemakers wife, and at Officers Croft ,a farm about a mile from Main Street as a farm Servant age 12. His father still a shoemaker was a lodger then in Kirkmaiden at a farm and not at Main Street. In 1861 his father John is back at Main Street but as a Mole catcher! and living with 2 grandchildren surname Neill. When Peter died in Dewsbury in 1883 the informant was his nephew-surname Neill. I have no evidence that Peter had any sisters, and don't know how the Neills are related. Can anyone help?

Janet