SueL

Default Ernest French, Winnipeg, 1927

Hello all,

I am trying to trace the whereabouts (and final resting place) of an Englishman who moved to Manitoba after WW1.

Ernest French travelled from Liverpool, UK to Quebec in April 1927 and I have the full address in Winnipeg that he gave on the ship's manifest. (Enquiries have already been made to various sources in Manitoba but have drawn a blank).

My question is this -
    If I have the full address in Winnipeg, who would be able to supply any details about Ernest living there, when/if he moved, what happened to him - did he return to England? I've searched UK incoming passenger lists but cannot spot him returning to the UK.

Thank you for any help/advice you can give!

Regards,
    SueL

v.wells

I found an address and have pm'd you with it. Don't know if it matches.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is an Ernest Augustus French buried in Brookside Cemetery in Winnipeg. See burial search at the bottom of the page.

https://www.winnipeg.ca/PPD/cemetery_brookside.stm

Adele

v.wells

You beat me to it Adele! Now I see that his name is E A French I know we have looked for him before - can't remember what the results were though.

I should have checked the passenger list first. It appears we're looking for an Ernest J French, born c1884.

Adele

Staff at the Winnipeg library will search 10 years of directories for you plus give other help as well.

https://wpl.winnipeg.ca/library/libra...f/emailref.asp

Adele

SueL

Thanks very much for your replies on this thread Vanessa and Adele.

I don't think Ernest would be alive today as he was born c1884 but the two links are very interesting.

The Brookside Cemetery shows an Ernest Augustus French in 1954 which is rather intriguing as his birth mother later married and had a child in 1890 in the UK calling him Augustus!

Thank you both so very much for your input

SueL

JayD

Ernest A French was married in Winnipeg in 1901 according to Manitoba vital statistics.

I have sent you a PM.

Jay