Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dvddigby

Default Godfrey B Bell 1836-1912 Ontario

Can anyone please provide some information (from official records) about a Godfrey B Bell who was born around 1836 at Drummond Township, Lanark, Ontario and who died in 1912. I think that he might have had a sister called Augusta Louisa Bell born, at the same location, around 1830. I think there may have been some other siblings born before Godfrey but I am unsure about their names.

Their parents are possibly Christopher and Ann Bell who were both from Yorkshire, England and who emigrated sometime between 1820 and 1830.

dvddigby

Nicolina

on the 1851 Canadian Census there is only one Godfrey BELL:
    Name: Godfrey Bell
    Age in years: 21
    Estimated birth year: 1830
    Birthplace: Canada
    Province: Canada West (Ontario)
    District: Lanark County
    District number: 19
    Subdistrict: Bathurst
    Subdistrict number: 173
    Page: 65
    Line number: 27

I will check and see if I can find any family for him but unfortunately images are not available

Brick wall demolition expert!

Images are available free at AutomatedGenealogy.com, a volunteer transcription website:

https://automatedgenealogy.com/census...g+Godfrey+Bell

Click Split view at the top of the page.

Adele

Nicolina

these seem to be the same family

Thomas on Line 26, born Canada about 1825
    Agusta on Line 28, born Canada about 1827
    Ann on Line 29, born Canada about 1829

on Line 32 there is another Ann BELL, born England about 1795 (possibly their mother)

Nicolina

thanks Adele. I don't have all my "Favourites" on this laptop yet, so used the Family Search site.

Oh, definitely put that site on your favourites!

Found his death registration

Godfrey Bell, 86, born England, farmer, married, died March 14, 1912 at 277 Sussex St in Ottawa, Ontario. The death was certified by C M Bell of the same address. Cause of death was cerebral hemmorhage (sic) 3 days, heart failure instantaneous. Unfortunately, the space where his parents were to be recorded is blank.

Adele

Marriage registration:

Name: Godfrey Bell
    Birth Place: Horton
    Marital status: Bachelor
    Father Name: Christopher Bell
    Mother Name: Anne Bell
    Spouse Name: Elizabeth Taylor
    Spouse's Age: 30
    Marital Status: Spinster
    Spouse Birth Place: Lanark Township
    Spouse Father Name: George Taylor
    Spouse Mother Name: Elizabeth Taylor
    Witness: George Taylor, Bathurst
    Marriage Date: 18 Dec 1875
    Marriage Place: Bathurst, Lanark county
    Religiious Denomination of Bride & Groom: Church of England

dvddigby

Thank you for that excellent information and for the link to the online census site.

Can I please ask where the marriage and death details for Godfrey came from so that I can, perhaps, take a look myself for other possible family members ?

I think that the 1852 Ontario census possibly includes three other members of the family (but I am not sure). The head of the household is a Christopher H Bell aged 36 who is a Deputy Sheriff in 187 Perth Town. Also there with him are Ellen and Alfred Bell.

I think that this might be Christopher Henry Bell who was born in Fulford, Yorkshire and he appears on the IGI with two siblings called Charlotte Elizabeth and Michael Horatio (who I think appears on the 1881 Canada census). Each of them have parents with the first names of Christopher and Ann ..... but is it the same Christopher and Ann who are Godfrey’s parents ?

Is it possible for me to look at Canadian BMD records (such as those found by AdeleE) for each of these other possibles (and maybe even more) to try and ascertain if they are all from the same family ?

dvddigby

Nicolina

we might have a possible link here. My BELLs are from that area but they are so confusing that I left them alone. There were 3 families BELL, ILES and LEAF who kept marrying each other so I stopped trying to make sense of it all. I will check and see if I can find Christopher.
    Elaine

v.wells

collections.ca or ancesspit.ca a subscription site.

Please put your location in your usercp or you risk being directed to all over the world or simply ignored. Just put your basic area and country. I think it is under your profile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast