Thread: Salmon "Jim?"

John Wassung

Default Salmon "Jim?"

I am trying to confirm the existance of a member of the Salmon Family from London area by the name of "Jim?". It is believed he may have moved to Bridlington in his later years where he worked with his brother, John at the local school.
    From the 1881 census I know that William Salmon and his Wife Mary A Salmon of Morley Ponds, Ware, Hertford had 6 children:-
    Phoebe (19), Alice (10), John (7), Frederick (5), Alfred (3) and Ephraim (12m). I was wondering if any of the listers could confirm from any of the subsequent census if this couple had any further children to confirm the existence of the brother with the name “Jim” or similar.

Thanks
    John Wassung
    WASSUNG Family of South Africa

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi John,

Jim (James) dosnt appear with the family in 1891 or 1901, but found this.

Civil parish West Ham
    RD West Ham
    Sub RD Forrst Gate

Susan Glading wife age 32 born Ware
    George son age 9 born Stratford Essex
    Ethel dau age 8 born Stratford
    Robert son age 7 born Stratford
    James Salmon brother age 21 occ ----- ------- railway born Ware

Class RG13
    Piece 1594
    Folio 131
    Page 37

A Susan Maria Salmon married in 1890 West Ham one of the grooms is a George Glading

Civil parish Ware
    RD Ware
    Sub Rd Ware

Morely Ponds

(transcribed as Salmans)

William Salmon head age 36 occ ag lab
    Ann wife age 32
    Phebe dau age 9
    Ann dau age 7
    William son age 4
    Susan dau age 3

Class RG10
    Piece 1351
    Folio 126
    Page 3
    Julie

I havnt been able to locate him in 1891. The only one is a James Sammons born abt 1883 Ware with parents Frederick and Susan living in Cookham Berkshire.
    Julie

Could Jim (James) be Ephraim, as I cant find anything on Jim only the 1901 census, nothing on the birth index, but Ephraims birth registration is Ephraim James Salmons district Ware year 1879 Oct/Nov/Dec quarter. Ephriam James Salmon is living in Bridlington in 1911.
    Julie

Keyboard86

Well spotted Blue eyes yes that is him.

1891 Census

William Salmon Head age 54 occ Ag Lab
    Mary A Wife age 53
    Frederick Son age 16 occ Ag Lab
    Alfred Son age 15 occ Ag Lab
    Ethrian? Son age 13 occ Ag Lab

Census Ref RG12/1094/123/17

Living at Cottage Morley Ponds Ware Herts.

All born Ware Hertfordshire

Best Regards
    Keyboard86

John Wassung

Default Salmon "Jim" Update

Thank you every body for your assistance.

It is possible that “Jim” was Ephraim Salmon as it is logical that he may have been know by a name which was more socially acceptable at the time than Ephraim however I have Ephraim’s middle name as Mauces and not James. I also have Ephraim’s birth as 1880 in Thundridge, Hertfordshire which I believe is basically Ware.

From the research I have done there would appear to be two families from the same area both with the head of the family being William of similar ages one born 1835 and the one I am following in 1837. The difference is in the wife in which one is Ann and the one I am following is Mary A (nee Mary Ann Swallow born 1837 in Little Hadham, Hertfordshire)

The other key is the son John Salmon (my Grandfather and only found in the one family) who with his wife Maud Ashwell Mason bought a house in Bessingby Road, Bridlington in 1901 and was a physical education teacher at Bridlington School also in Bessingby Road, Bridlington.

Reference is made in family correspondence to John’s brother “Jim” who was apparently the caretaker at Bridlington School however I seem unable to find any official record of “Jim” that I can link to the family. I have written to the Bridlington School who I know have records on John asking if they have any information and await their reply.

John Wassung

Keyboard86

Hello John so that I can "close the case" on this could you perhaps confirm or disagree with the John and Ephraim shown living on the 1911 Census in Bridlington Yorkshire, these are the households concerned.

John Salmon Head aged 37 occ Manual Gymnastics & Drill Instructor b Ware
    Maud Wife aged 31 married 9 years born Tottenham Middlesex
    Alan John Son aged 4 born Bridlington

Living at "Rokesley", Bessingby Road Bridlington.

Ephraum Salmon Head aged 30 occ Dom: Gardener born Ware
    Ethel Alice Wife aged 27 married 5 years born High Wycombe Bucks
    Winifred Ethel Daugh aged 2 born Bridlington

Living at Grove Cottage Bessingby Road Bridlington.

The Ephraim (with middle name Mauces) can you advise whether you have a birth/death certificate to validate it, as Freebmd show only 1 Ephraim born 1879/1881 in Hertford region and that was the example Blue eyes provided.

The Ephraim shown above living in the same road as a John is the one with middle name "James".

Hope this is easy to understand, and await your comments.

Best Regards
    Keyboard86

Keyboard86

Hallo again John, just to give further info there is a marriage of a Ephraim James Salmon to a Ethel Alice Kimbell March qtr 1906 in West Ham ref 4a 342.

Best Regards
    Keyboard86

John Wassung

Once again thank you all for all your assistance. From the evidence it would appear indisputable that you have found "Jim" and his full name is Ephraim James Salmon. At this point I am not certain where the Mauces came from, I have many records and will have to go back and recheck them all - I have an idea it was picked up from a witness to some document.
    Once again thank you very much all the information which has been very usefull. If any further problems arise I will detail them in a new thread.

Thank you
    John Wassung