Thread: Bethel mission

stumped!

Default Bethel mission

HI
    Ive noticed on an obituary of my grandads that people from the bethel mission attended his funeral, well ive looked on the net and aparently it was in south africa at this time aswell.Soooo i was wondering , could they have played a part in his coming over here?One of their ministers came over to scunthorpe and married a widow.. If its based on methodism why isnt it listed as such,or was it just one of the off shoots of todays methodist church?

Mutley

Is the Jamaican Bethel Mission a different one?

They have a 'contact us' link, why not ask them?

Starting to feel at home

Google will show you Bethel missions all over the world; I used to attend a Bethel chapel with the Independents / Congregationalists, a popular kind of Nonconformist denomination. Bethel is a common name for chapels in all denominations, I think; Bethel missions appear originally, as far as I can see, as local enterprises set up mainly for the benefit of seafarers - I deduce this from their prevalence at seaports. No doubt they reached many places overseas that were not on any seaboard; perhaps a minister of religion might be able to explain to you whether missions of a different name were as common.
    I think the mission you have come across is that of a local chapel with which your grandfather was connected. I would try Googling Bethel mission with the local placename you have.
    Godo

stumped!

Default bethel mission

Hi ,thanks to you all for the advice.Ive scanned grandads obit ,its in my profile albumn.As it says there scunthorpe bethel mission ive had a look and can find two in scunthorpe but they dont exist anymore .Do they have a diffrent name now?Lookin on the net just bombards me with diffrent countrys and missionarys ,Need to "de bunk "to get to the nitty gritty i think .

stumped!

Hi again it seems to be related to a lot about assisting with education .I did at one stage end up on a university site!! Now i think about it my grandad spoke in 14 languages.Iput that down to being in the forces from a very young age .I will surface ,i hope eventually with a better idea of his life........
    thanks again