Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pennydog

Default No birth/death Registration

How can this happen?
    Daniel Richard Dunn was born 4/1/1881, baptised 3/4/1881 (thank you A* London parish records), 7th child of George William Dunn & Mary Ann Dunn.
    1881 census ref. RG11/717/65/30 - Dunn Danl son single m 1881 b Deptford Kent
    These are the only records that I can find for him, no birth registration listed, have even looked for Richard. I suspect he died in infancy, but no death registration either. All the other children were registered. My g.grandad could write, so probably could read too, so why was this child not registered? The only explanation I can come up with is that he may have been registered with a different christian name, which was changed before his baptism.
    The whole of this family is missing in the 1891 census (George is widowed in 1888) - or put another way I can't find them!!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    The whole of this family is missing in the 1891 census (George is widowed in 1888) - or put another way I can't find them!!
    Ancestry has them under DENNE

RG12; Piece: 494; Folio 50; Page 29.

Kerrywood

Mutley

And as Daniel Dinn born 1880 on FMP, Registration District is Greenwich.

I don't know why they mucked up on the name, the ages have a stroke across but the name is reasonably clear.

But I cannot find Daniel's birth registration. Sorry

pennydog

Thank you so much Kerrywood - I had tried Denn, Dann, Done, and many more but never thought of Denne. Just had a quick look - there is another child that I never knew existed (have been looking at the A* London marriages to see if I could get an address from there, to look for them!).
    Thank you too Mutley, had ticked the FMP varients box, but that didn't throw up Dinn!!
    I had thought that Daniel died in infancy (being baptised 3 months after birth - the rest are christened within a few weeks - never thought I would find him alive 10 years later). Deptford moves about London - my family didn't - but the address is sometimes Kent, sometimes St. Pauls or St Nicholas or even Greenwich!!

Deptford moves about London - my family didn't - but the address is sometimes Kent, sometimes St. Pauls or St Nicholas or even Greenwich!!
    Deptford was mainly in Kent until 1889, then London. There are two main parishes, St Nicholas and St Paul. The registration district/poor law union is normally Greenwich, but parts of the parish of St Paul Deptford come under Lewisham. Different census providers treat Deptford differently, unfortunately, and this adds to the confusion.

You might find these new online maps from LDS useful. The pages are slow to load but worth waiting for. You can use the tabs over each map to show the various jurisdictions, boundaries, contiguous parishes etc. The relevant date is 1851.

Kerrywood

pennydog

Thank you again Kerrywood, will look at the maps you suggest, your help is much appreciated.

pennydog

Sorry to resurect this thread, but since the help from Kerrywood, which provided me with the 1891 census return for the Dunn family, the mystery of birth registration has deepened.
    After the birth of Daniel Richard, George & Mary Ann had three more children - Richard Thomas b20/11/1882 baptised 4/3/1883 - James Robert b8/6/1885 batised 2/8/1885 both at Deptford addresses and for these two sons there is no birth registration entries (tried freebdm, A* and FMP lists - nothing). A daughter Elizabeth Rose is born 25/12/1887, baptised 11/1/1888 - Deptford again, and this birth is registered, as is her death June quarter 1888. So too is Mary Ann's death - March quarter 1888.
    Why would three out of ten children not be registered? I have even checked the surname Dunn (no christian name) Greenwich and there are no children registered in the correct time frame. The nearest to 'my' three is a Richard Dunn reg. June 1883 Fulham (but no corresponding reg's for Daniel & James). Is it possible some of the Greenwich records are lost? Is there anywhere else to check the registration lists?

Is it possible some of the Greenwich records are lost? Is there anywhere else to check the registration lists?
    Sorry, I can't find these birth entries either, not in FreeBMD or in the full GRO index. From the lack of response on this thread it doesn't look as if anyone else can either.

The entries in the baptism register would appear to confirm the parents. The birth registrations may have slipped through the net somewhere between the local register office and the GRO, or the births may never have been registered.

You could write to Greenwich Register Office and ask them to search for the registrations and send you the certificates. The cost is the same as the GRO. Be sure to give them all the requisite information, as detailed on their web page. Let's hope they can find something.

Kerrywood

pennydog

Thanks again for your input Kerrywood, I certainly will contact Greenwich, they may have an explanation, if not I suppose I will have to leave these as one of those things that cannot be answered. If I find anything, will let you know.
    Sue

Reputation beyond repute

The 1875 Act didn't completely stamp out non-registration, you know. You've just got one of those families who were inconsistent about it.

The one thing that finally put the lid on non-registration was WW2 when no birth certificate meant no ration book!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast