Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ashbee

Default Municipal Graveyards and Burial Details

I'm trying to confirm where various members of my London family were actually buried. Is my only source of information the actual cemetary office itself or have they submitted their records to larger archives in the same way that churches have given their registers?

Reputation beyond repute

You need to go to the website of each London Borough involved and look at the Cemeteries Department page (which may go under various titles) and check what arrangements there are for checking the registers.

ashbee

Thanks, Peter. Islington and St Pancras's website only deals with current business and doesn't mention historical enquiries but I did email a couple of weeks ago. So far I've not had a reply so wondered if there might be a different approach...

Years ago I wrote to cemetaries and they were kind enough to respond but I saw that one crem now charges £40 an hour research fee...that's a bit hefty.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by ashbee View Post
    Islington and St Pancras's website only deals with current business and doesn't mention historical enquiries
    The staff at Islington & St Pancras Cemetery do handle family history enquiries, but it is an extremely busy office, and they are slow to reply. Their website shows the charge for searches. You will probably get a faster response if/when you've paid

"Genealogy
    If you would like to research your family history the office is open for free searches from 9.30am – 3.30pm Monday to Friday. If you wish us to search for you please write to us with as much information as possible. Full name, burial date, home address and enclosing a fee of £45 for a maximum 3 searches."

Kerrywood

v.wells

cityoflondon.gov.uk/burialRegisters might be of interest and it all depends on what years you are looking at.

I would also email Islington and St Pancras again although 2 weeks isn't a long time to wait. I have waited up to a month.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 19-10-2009 at 4:46 PM. Reason: Commercial url deleted - they sell stuff

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    cityoflondon.gov.uk/burialRegisters might be of interest and it all depends on what years you are looking at.
    Vanessa, this is a different cemetery. Islington & St Pancras Cemetery is in East Finchley. Every municipal authority has its own procedure and sets its own fees.

Kerrywood

Famous for offering help & advice

There's a commercial site called Deceased Online which has some Islington burial records, but not very many at the moment.

Arthur

v.wells

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Vanessa, this is a different cemetery. Islington & St Pancras Cemetery is in East Finchley. Every municipal authority has its own procedure and sets its own fees.

Kerrywood
    oops! Should have known better, but obviously not today!

ashbee

Thanks for that ... I obviously missed the bit about genealogy on the Islington website...it's a bit pricey isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by ashbee View Post
    it's a bit pricey isn't it?
    I'd say the headline cost is above average, but not wildly out of line for London, especially as you get three searches for that fee. Of course, if you only need one ... sorry

Kerrywood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast