Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.C

sue1959

Default R.I.C

Is there anyone out there with info, or know where I can get some, about the Royal Irish Constabulary between 1870 and 1910?

Mutley

Try google, the list of links is endless including

royalirishconstabulary.com
    There you will find some pictures, names and a roll of honour.

JAP1

Hi sue1959,

An Index compiled by Janet Reakes - Ireland, The Royal Irish Constabulary 1816-1921 - is searchable on Ancestry.

A description of this Index states that "The original records go into greater details, showing where each man was stationed, where he had relatives, whether he got married, and if so the date, illnesses, conduct, promotions, cause of death if died in the force; pensioned or retired; as well as a physical description."

The LDS have several films relating to the RIC. Many years ago I recall ordering one of these into my local LDS Family History centre.
    It had extensive information about the person in whom I was interested (George OSBORNE of Co Donegal - George being a Great Great Uncle of my children on their father's side. As it happens, only last week I received an email quite out of the blue from a descendant of his in Ireland whom I'd not known about - he even sent me a photo of George and family!).

Regards,

JAP

stewart2913

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Would a member of the 'B Specials' be listed under the general establishment of the R.I.C. ? My wife's maternal grandfather (surname: WICKLOW) was said to have been a member of the 'B Specials'. No further details are known about his "rumoured" service with the 'B Specials'.

Andrew

Reputation beyond repute

Would a member of the 'B Specials' be listed under the general establishment of the R.I.C. ?
    I believe that would be the wrong force and the wrong period.

All I can suggest is to follow up the final paragraph of the Research Guide.

stewart2913

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    the wrong force and the wrong period.

All I can suggest is to follow up the final paragraph of the Research Guide.
    You have me intrigued, you also make reference to the Research Guide, is it located within this website?, and how do I find it?

Reputation beyond repute

You have me intrigued, you also make reference to the Research Guide, is it located within this website?, and how do I find it?
    It was referred to in message #2, in other words -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=244

Knowledgeable and helpful

Save for Dublin which for a while had a separate police force, the RIC was the police force for all of Ireland until 1922, when Ireland was partitioned. The RIC was then disbanded. In the north the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) was created to replace them and in the Irish Republic the Garda Siochana (translates roughly as civic guard) became the new police force. The B Specials were an auxiliary force created around 1922 to support the RUC, so their records are not going to be held with the RIC records. The RUC is now renamed the Police Service for Northern Ireland. You could try their website for details of any records that may be available on B Specials.

Elwyn

CanCan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast