apowell

Default John Herbert born abt 1821 Wenn, Shropshire

Hi everyone,

I'm really stuck on attempting to trace my x3 Grt Grandfather John Herbert born abt 1821-1826. On the 1851 census his place of birth is given Wenn, Shropshire but on all the later ones it's Mamble, Worcestershire.

John married Mary Maria Smith in 1847, Dudley, Worcestershire and they lived in the Tipton area of Staffordshire from 1851.

I've obtained their marriage certificate and it states Johns father's name was William Herbert (Labourer).

I've searched and searched on the 1841 census for John, William or any possible family members but I just can't find any. I've also searched the IGI but again with no luck.

I can't even find a place in Shropshire or Worcestershire called Wenn only Wem near Whitchurch in Shropshire. Wem is quite away from the other place name he gave of Mamble, Worcestershire which doesn't seem to fit.

I would love to locate Johns' family but I'm at a complete loss what to look at next and any help would be fantastic.

Kind regards
    Adrian

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,
    Mamble is about ten or so miles from Kidderminster and there is an extracted entry on the IGI for a John Herbert christened in 1823 in Kidderminster, parents William and Elizabeth Herbert.
    Emeltee

I have found a William and Elizabeth Herbert living in Little Witley, not overly far from Mamble in 1841. William's occupation is sawyer and the ref is HO107/1201/F5/p4
    Could they be John's parents? They are still there in 1851, William is 77 and Elizabeth 69
    Emeltee
    Last edited by emeltee; 13-10-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added more info

Super Moderator

I am sure it is Wem, not Wenn.

There is a baptism entry on the IGI:

John Herbert baptised 15 April 1823 Kidderminster (Mamble is close to Kidderminster), parents William and Elizabeth.

Super Moderator

emeltee - you beat me to it!

There are several other children with parents William and Elizabeth Herbert christened Kiderminster on the IGI

William 1815
    James 1818
    Andrew 1820
    Mary Ann 1825

There is also a Harriot 1817 christened Little Witley

Emeltee

apowell

Hi,

This information looks really promising and it gets me started again which is fantastic.

I'm embarrassed to tell you how long I've spent looking for information on John and his family. Let's just say a very long time and I'm convinced I've been looking at a dodgy IGI site

Interestingly both William and Elizabeth were born in London on the 1851 census.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Regards
    Adrian

treddz

Hi there
    Just came across your message on this site.
    My wife's Great Grandmother was Esther Herbert, John and Mary's daughter.
    She married a George Henry Treadwell in West Bromwich in 1899.
    She was a widow with a small son she was married for a short time.
    By a strange twist of fate. George Treadwell father was a John Treadwell of Maxstoke.
    My Great Grandfather was Joseph Treddle also of Maxstoke.
    John and Joseph were son's of Thomas Treddle and Mary Underhill.
    The surname may be different but the family is the same.
    treddz