Mary Anne

Default Searching for BICKELLs!

Further to another thread, I am having difficulty finding BICKELLs in the various Canadian censuses... I am not sure whether this is because of transcription errors or what, and thought I would ask the wise ones here for any suggestions...

What I have is this:

William John BICKELL, John Palmer BICKELL and Thomas BICKELL seem to have been brothers, born in England (don't know where in England), and we pick them up in Québec in the 1840s (in City directories, marriages)

1) William John is a grocer;
    2) John Palmer is a grocer, and later on a ships' chandler and marine merchant;
    3) Thomas is a grocer and china and glass merchant
    and,
    4) Thomas Hobbs is Thomas's son, and is a commercial traveller.

Where I find difficulty is in tracking them all in the censuses, as I seem to find one or two (with families, of course) but not the others...

So, for 1851, I find everyone but John Palmer BICKELL
    1861, I find John Palmer BICKELL but none of the others;
    1871, I find all but John Palmer again;
    1881, I find them all (or their widows: William John died in 1880);
    1891, I can find only John Palmer BICKELL (by now, Thomas is dead and I can't find his widow who had moved to Ontario before the previous census);
    1901 I haven't really investigated yet...

Can't seem to find any BICKELLs in any passenger lists that are in the appropriate timeframe, so they don't seem to have been away on buying trips, for example.

Anyone have any ideas?!

Mary Anne

greann

Hi,
    I found John Bickell and his family back in England in the 1871 census. His last 3 children were born there.
    John T?? Bickell- 1830 Plymouth, Devon, England -41 -shipowner
    Elizabeth - 40 Canada
    Emily J. 16 Canada
    Amy E. 14 Canada
    John P 12 Canada
    Marion 10 Canada
    Henry W 8 Canada
    William C 6 Canada
    George H 3 Liverpool England
    Mabel L 1 Liverpool England
    Elsie M 2months Berkenhead England

I could not find a crossing for them, but the family does show up again in the 1881 Canadian census.
    Ann

Mary Anne

greann

Thank you so much! Why I didn't think to look at the English census I have no idea!

I have just coincidentally discovered another family on my husband's side who had come from England and elected to go back there and live for a year in 1871.

Mary Anne

greann

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    greann

Thank you so much! Why I didn't think to look at the English census I have no idea!

I have just coincidentally discovered another family on my husband's side who had come from England and elected to go back there and live for a year in 1871.

Mary Anne
    Hi Mary Anne,
    Your very welcome.............that's whats so great about this forum. Sometimes all it takes is a fresh pair of eyes.
    Good luck with your searching
    Ann