Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    macbeth

Default Finding Nana's Mother

I know this all happened in Australia, but I was hoping someone out there has a few bright ideas for me.

My Grandmother's father John Exon JOB was born in Devon in 1854, and migrated to South Australia about 1882 as far as I can tell.

On 12 August 1885 we have him marrying Elizabeth BROWN, aged 16, father John Brown, mother not mentioned. Sometime between then and 1886 they moved to Melbourne and proceeded to have 3 children, Earnest Exon, 1886, Florence Harriet 1887, and My grandmother - Mabel being the youngest, born in August 1890 in Northcote Victoria. I have Mabel's birth registration and it has been signed by her mother Elizabeth.

We always knew he was married a number of times, so in order to find Mabel's mother, about whom we know next to nothing, I've been chasing up JEJ's life. I've been trying to find her mother's name so we can trace down that line. This is what I've found, and to be honest with it's got me stumped.

I have found that he married Sophia Louisa Le Couillard on the 7 Feb 1893, in Northcote. On the marriage register he has said that he was widowed in 1892. Fair enough, but I could not find a death of an Elizabeth Job aged 23 anywhere I looked. So getting desperate, I searched for any death of a 23yo in Melbourne in 1892 and found one Sarah Ann Job. Hmm. First name doesn't match, what else does? I got hold of her death register details and was struck dumb by a little note written in the "where born, how long in Australian colonies" category

"Adelaide, South Australia, 16years in South Australia, 7 years in Melbourne". Now this had my hairs on the back of my neck standing up, the cause of death - abortion peritonitis - eek, the plot thickens.

So now I had the idea of ringing Melbourne cemetery, as that's where it said she was buried. maybe I could see who organised the funeral. They were very helpful there and and told me her funeral/grave was paid for her husband John Exon Job! What is this? Where's Elizabeth? Who's this Sarah? Are they the same person? Dunno, - what really happened?

There is more. JEJ and Sophia moved to Perth and had more children, the last being Leslie Rudolph born in May 1898, it seems that Sophia died in childbirth, as I have her probate info & it says she died in Perth on 31 May 1898. Just to make it more interesting, JEJ had Leslie buried in Melbourne in the same grave as Sarah Ann. - he died in Perth in August 1898

Explain that - please - someone!

So any thought anyone has on what has really gone on, and what I can do to untangle this web gratefully received
    Thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
    I know this all happened in Australia,
    Perhaps you would have most luck in the Australian forum.

dawn/karen

cant explain your burial problem but been loking for what i can find for you.

birth
    Mar 1854

John Exon job Newton Abbot 5b 114

1861 cencus

John Exon Job
    abt 1855

Father's Name: Thomas
    Mother's Name: Harriet
    Where born: Hennock, Devon, England

Thomas Job 41
    Harriet Job 41
    Henry Job 13
    Albert George Job 11
    John Exon Job 6

RG9; Piece: 1403; Folio: 13; Page: 3

macbeth

Thanks, I did some more digging last night & solved the Leslie burial as far as I can, his death was registered under "Norman" for some reason.

I will try the Aust forum
    cheers

Procat

Hi,

I have moved this from Brickwalls to Australian forum.

Procat

On 12 August 1885 we have him marrying Elizabeth BROWN, aged 16, father John Brown, mother not mentioned.

I have found that he married Sophia Louisa Le Couillard on the 7 Feb 1893, in Northcote. On the marriage register he has said that he was widowed in 1892. Fair enough, but I could not find a death of an Elizabeth Job aged 23 anywhere I looked. So getting desperate, I searched for any death of a 23yo in Melbourne in 1892 and found one Sarah Ann Job. Hmm. First name doesn't match, what else does? I got hold of her death register details and was struck dumb by a little note written in the "where born, how long in Australian colonies" category

"Adelaide, South Australia, 16years in South Australia, 7 years in Melbourne". Now this had my hairs on the back of my neck standing up, the cause of death - abortion peritonitis - eek, the plot thickens.

So now I had the idea of ringing Melbourne cemetery, as that's where it said she was buried. maybe I could see who organised the funeral. They were very helpful there and and told me her funeral/grave was paid for her husband John Exon Job! What is this? Where's Elizabeth? Who's this Sarah? Are they the same person? Dunno, - what really happened?

So any thought anyone has on what has really gone on, and what I can do to untangle this web gratefully received
    Thanks
    I am wondering if she was adopted? Perhaps by the Brown family, then when she died she was recorded under her birth name. Or the other way round perhaps.

On the Death Certificate what is shown for her parents, place of birth etc?

Procat

I don't suppose you happen to know her birth date?

if she was a Brown there are these possibilities with a father John.

There is this birth in 1869 in Adelaide:

Name: BROWN, Sarah Ann
    Date: 1869-03-25
    Parents: John BROWN & Frances Sarah LITTLE
    Birth Place: Adelaide
    District Code: Ade
    Book: 55
    Page: 389

And in 1868 in Norwood:

Name: BROWN, Elizabeth
    Date: 1868-06-18
    Parents: John BROWN & Mary Ann PRIME
    Birth Place: Norwood
    District Code: Ade
    Symbol:
    Book: 65
    Page: 93

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

On Mabel's birth certificate, did Elizabeth give her place of birth as South Australia?

There is always the possibilty that Elizabeth and John separated and he took up with Sarah of the same age. Hospital death certificates can be a real pain, they often leave out parents names, marriage info and children, yet manage to put in birth info and residency details.

Have you located any death or funeral notices?
    Is there a headstone which may record that she is the mother of Mabel?

Was she recorded as Sarah Ann at the cemetery? It was just Sarah in the death index. There is always the possibility that she was recorded wrongly on the death certificate, and therefore the burial registration- a shocked and grieving husband might not notice.
    ChristineR

macbeth

Sorry, I've been a bit tardy in replying to you all.

Procat: I've acertained that the Elizabeth with the mother Mary Ann PRIME is not her, as I have found marriage details for her marrying someone else. If she was 21 when Mabel was born in August 1890, thane her birth year has to be around 1868/1869, but that is all I have.

ChristineR: on Mabel's birth cert she has stated "Elizabeth Job, 21 formerly Brown, born in Adelaide"

and therefore the burial registration- a shocked and grieving husband might not notice.
    . But then why, when the child from his second wife died 6 years later, and he buried her in the same grave as Elizabeth/Sarah, did he not correct the mistake then?

I have a copy of the purchase receipt for the burial, and she has been named as "Sarah Ann". I am in Perth, so I cannot easily check out the grave, but I have someone who might be kind enough to do that. I am thinking that might be a good idea.

Elizabeth and John separated
    Almost certain they had, as there always has been a whiff of scandal with this lot. John married Sophia Louisa Le Couillard on the 7 Feb 1893, in Northcote. On the marriage register he has said that he was widowed in 1892.

Thanks once again for your assistance, I;m just hoping this is not going to be a brickwall I'll never get torn down

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

There is more. JEJ and Sophia moved to Perth and had more children, the last being Leslie Rudolph born in May 1898, it seems that Sophia died in childbirth, as I have her probate info & it says she died in Perth on 31 May 1898. Just to make it more interesting, JEJ had Leslie buried in Melbourne in the same grave as Sarah Ann. - he died in Perth in August 1898

Explain that - please - someone!
    Thanks, I did some more digging last night & solved the Leslie burial as far as I can, his death was registered under "Norman" for some reason....
    cheers
    I would imagine that John has come back to Victoria with his family after his wife's death, as Leslie / Norman died in Victoria - his death was registered here and there was also an inquest.

Victorian Inquest index
    Norman JOB
    Year 1898
    Ref # 1066

Victoria Pioneer Index
    Norman JOB, died Melb E, 1898
    parents, Job Jno, Sophia Louisa LENORPI
    reg # 13008

edited later - by time John Exon Job applied for probate in Victoria it was July 1899, and he had only two children by this second wife living. He claimed that he was late applying for probate because he had expected to come back from WA but was unable to - he was not in Victoria when he applied, but living in WA. His late wife had several properties in her name. (digital file at PROV) and Northcote was given as her usual address.
    Last edited by ChristineR; 15-11-2009 at 8:22 AM. Reason: add more
    ChristineR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast