Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ailhug

Default assisted unmarried females to Aust.

I think I have found my Catherine Considine she arrived on Elphinstone October 1840,but what happened to the females ? where did they go ? Catherine married 1841 I have not been able to find where she went from the ship
    Last edited by ChristineR; 25-10-2009 at 4:40 AM. Reason: put another s in assisted

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

She would have almost certainly been employed right away, it could have been arranged beforehand. No more than a night or two lodgings to be found before moving in with her employers.

If you can sight the actual shipping list it will tell you if any employment arrangements had been made.
    ChristineR

Procat

Greetings Ailhug,

I have moved this from general Family History Queries to Across 'The Pond(s)' - Australia Genealogy

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Just for interest, this is the Mount Stewart Elphinstone, built 1826 India. Some of my wife's ancestors came to Vic on it in 1857.

Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

ailhug

Thanks for quick reply and photo of the vessel I can only find Catherine as being bought out by w capper arriving 8th oct. 1840 Her Sister Mary arrived on the Isabella on 18th oct.1840 her shippung list just has her as being bought out by m
    Mr. John Marshell nothing much else.Is there a list or site as to where they were assigned ?

ailhug

Thanks for the photo can I print a copy if so How ?

Quote Originally Posted by ailhug View Post
    Thanks for the photo can I print a copy if so How ?
    If you right click on the image, you can save it to your computer.
    ChristineR

Quote Originally Posted by ailhug View Post
    Thanks for quick reply and photo of the vessel I can only find Catherine as being bought out by w capper arriving 8th oct. 1840 Her Sister Mary arrived on the Isabella on 18th oct.1840 her shippung list just has her as being bought out by m
    Mr. John Marshell nothing much else.Is there a list or site as to where they were assigned ?
    They were not convicts, so they were not 'assigned'.
    The person who sponsored her was probably her employer or an employment agent. If you can check directories for Port Phillip about that time you may be able to work out who it might be. I don't know of any online lists.
    ChristineR

ailhug

Thanks Christine will check out Port Phillip dir.

You could also see if the same persons name appears alongside other immigrants. Then you can get an idea of what type of person he was by the occupations of the people helped. Apparently it was pretty hard to get female domestic help, single woman could pick and choose their employment in those early days. They usually married as soon as they came out of any contractual obligations.
    ChristineR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast