bobbyfamilytree

Default Convict dies - is family informed back in UK?

I have a convict (George Gambrell/ill) whom died within a month of landing in Van Diemans land, this happen towards the end of 1837. He was sentenced to 7years but died in hospital (Scorbutus)

Is his family informed of his death and if so, would copies of such a letter, that informed his wife/family of his death be kept anywhere?

His family - wife and 12 kids lived in Kent, UK (Woodnesborough)

Thanks,
    Bobby.

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyfamilytree View Post
    Is his family informed of his death and if so, would copies of such a letter, that informed his wife/family of his death be kept anywhere?
    That's an interesting question, that I can't answer at all! However, it has made me think - what records are kept on convicts' lives & how can they be accessed? Hopefully, someone with the knowledge can help you.

Procat

Hi Bobby,

I have moved this thread to the Australian forum as I think you will get more response there.

Have you found his records at the Tasmanian Archives site. He is indexed under Gambull.

I do not have an answer for your original query unfortunately.

Why not go to TNA and ask there.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

bobbyfamilytree

I've got various documents from the Tassie archives, but my original question is something i havent come across before and i was thinking that surely the officials must of let the convicts family know of such a thing, particularly when the convict dies shortly after landing.

I'll see what TNA brings up, thanks Ladkyis.

Bobby.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

The authorities back in England would be advised of any convict deaths.

I think that the onus would be on family to ask the authorities in England for any news about their wellbeing and how to contact them. I seem to remember reading that the local rector usually wrote letters on behalf of those who could not write. Any letter turning up in Australia for the deceased would most likely be returned with the news of his death. I doubt that records of 'next of kin' came with the convict. If a convict knew he was about to die, he may have organised a letter to be written to his family, again probably written by the chaplain if he was unable to write himself.
    ChristineR

JAP1

Hi Bobby,

I don't know the answer to the question but my immediate reaction was that I would be very surprised indeed if 'next of kin' who remained behind in the UK were given any consideration at all - much less kept informed of what happened to their convict (especially when the convict re-married in the Antipodes!).

There's a Rootsweb mailing list re Tas-Convicts.
    You might also like to Google for "Claim a Convict" - it's a commercial site but has some interesting information.

Good luck,

JAP