Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default William James Guy

Hi Everyone
    I am looking for more information on my mothers step-brother
    William James Guy born 22 Sept 1895 in Bristol. He appears to have gone out to the USA in 1914 possibly to emigrate but must have returned later that year to join up (WW1). He marries a Dorothy Morgans on 15 Dec 1914 in Llwynpia, Wales. After this it gets a bit hazy and family folkore says Dorothy and William seperated, he possibly married bigamously and ran off to Canada.
    I would like to know what happened to them as they appear in so many family photos. I am unsure of searching Canadian records.
    Any tips from anyone would be welcome.
    William James occupation was a conductor I think on the buses at time of his marriage. I think he would have left for Canada around 1925?
    We have one photo of him in Canada around 1940. Family say he could not come back!
    ELMA

janbooth

Default William James GUY

There is a record for a William J GUY on the Ancestry Incoming Passenger Lists:

William J GUY, aged 27, Port of Departure New York, arrived Southampton 23 June 1922, Ports of voyage Cherbourg, on the ship Majestic of The White Star Line. He is shown as an Electrician and his proposed residence is 9 Winton Road, Dublin - doesn't sound likely given what you already know, but ......

What might be more relevant to you is a record of a Wm James GUY on Canadian Passenger Lists arriving at Halifax, Nova Scotia. My Ancestry subscription does not cover looking at the actual document, but you can get a pay per view subscription to enable you to look at this record and also American & Canadian census records which could be relevant to you.

However, I am sure people more used to researching American/Canadian records will be able to advise you how to go about researching your GUY.

Janet

Brick wall demolition expert!

Arriving 16 Feb 1915 at Halifax, Nova Scotia on board the Vaderland

Wm James Guy, 21, married, in Canada before in 1914 for 6 mo at Toronto, occupation in country from whence he came: discharged medically unfit Canadian Contingent, intended occupation in Canada: Car Conductor., "ret'd Canadian".

I am unsure if his destination is Toronto. The space has a ---- . ---- in it, which may be a ditto mark, although the word "do" is written for a passenger a few lines up the page.

Arriving 28 May 1915 at Quebec on board the Grampian:

Dorothy Guy, 19, married, going to husband, electrical engineer, 1 year in Canada, born Wales, destination Toronto.

Arriving 25 Oct 1925 at Quebec on board the Alaunia:

Dorothy Guy, 29, divorced, b. Wales, Tredegar, in Canada previously May 1915 to Nov 1920 at 165 Province Street, Hamilton, Ontario. Occupation in own country: Nurse. Intended occupation in Canada: Domestic. Going to friend Mrs William Howarth, Box 251, Fernie BC. Nearest relative in country from whence came: Father James Morgan, 238 Cemetery Road, Trealaw, Rhondda, S. Wales. Passport issued at Ottawa 23.11.20 #77532. Has 15 pounds cash. Admitted as Returning Canadian. Travelling inland on CN (Canadian National Railway)

Arriving Liverpool, England on board the Canada 14 Dec 1920, embarked Portland Maine:

Dorothy Guy, occup: wife, 24, last residence Canada, intended future residence "british possessions".

On the Family Search Pilot site, there is a death of a 15 day old William James Guy on Mar 28, 1916, son of William James Guy & Dorothy Morgan. The image of the death registration at Anc* records that he died of suffocative bronchitis, address 90 Moberly St in Toronto and that he is buried at Norway cemetery (this is St John's Norway on Kingston Road)
    Last edited by AdeleE; 03-01-2010 at 2:23 PM. Reason: added date of death

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default William James Guy

Thank you so much Jan and Adele. I Know William james went to the USA in 1914 and have his arrival 20 th Feb 1914. His destination then was Ohio to an uncle. We know then William was married in Wales in Dec 1914.
    His Occupation Feb 1914 was conductor and Dec 1914 soldier.
    The information is fascinating. It looks like he went to Toronto in 1915 and Dorothy joined him shortly after. Sorry I am working it out slowly but it is so fascinating.
    Dorothy appears to come back to England in 1920 possibly still married but by 1925 she is divorced and returns to Canada. A baby was born in 1916.
    My mother recalls meeting Will around 1923/4 in Bristol. She then thought he left for Canada. We always hoped we could connect up with Will's family and I feel are lucky to know this further information.
    Thankyou so much I cant wait to tell the family
    ELMA

I'm glad to help. I just found one more event, at the British Columbia Archives Vital Statistics website:

Groom: Charles Henry Norris
    Bride Dorothy Guy
    Date: 1926 Dec 8
    Event: Marriage
    Place: Fernie
    Reg. Number: 1926-09-311044

https://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/s...rriages,Deaths

janbooth

Default Dorothy MORGAN

And could this be Dorothy in the 1911 census of Rhondda, Glamorgan:

115 Brithweunydd Road, Trealaw

Margaret MORGAN Wife Mar 37 Monmouth Rhymney
    Dorothy do Daur S 15 do Tredegar
    Mary Ann do Daur 13 School Glamorgan Cefn
    Margaret Victoria do Daur 10 School do Trealaw

Mother Margaret has been married 17 years.

And this looks like the family in the 1901 census of Ystradyfodwg, Glamorgan:

RG13/5018, folios 61/2, pages 20/21

115 Brithweunydd Rd

James MORGAN Head M 29 Coal Miner Hewer below ground Mon Tredegar
    Margt do Wife M 27 do Rumney
    Dorty do Daur 5 do Tredegar
    Mary A do Daur 3 Glam Cefn
    Margt do Daur 3 months do Trealaw

William GUY is still in Bristol in the 1911 census. He is shown as boarding with an Agnes HARVEY, widow, and her family at 298 New Foundland Rd, aged 15, a Tram Car Conductor born Bristol. Wonder how he ended up in Glamorgan. Found the mariage in the Dec qtr 1914 at Pontypridd reg district, vol 11a, page 1096.

HTH in addition to what Adele has already found for you.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 04-01-2010 at 4:43 PM. Reason: Typing error

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast