Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Colin Rowledge

Thanks for all your posts. By gosh it's confusing!!

Wonder if the 2 Odgers boys that married September quarter 1880 were brothers or other relation?

On this assumption I checked free BMD for births in Redruth for both Isaac and Joseph. The most likely are:
    Isaac June quarter 1844
    Joseph September quarter 1857

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Marie C..

Perhaps if you bought the certificates for the births of the two Isaacs born March 1885 that would give you the answers you want. You would have on them the parents'names and addresses of birth.
    ps. I see you are in Canada, Well Vanessa will know how( living in Canada )one goes about buying certs from England.
    Marie

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Marie C.. View Post
    Perhaps if you bought the certificates for the births of the two Isaacs born March 1885 that would give you the answers you want. You would have on them the parents'names and addresses of birth.
    ps. I see you are in Canada, Well Vanessa will know how( living in Canada )one goes about buying certs from England.
    Marie
    Hi Marie

Thanks for the response. In view of my other posts I think there was only one Isaac born in the March quarter 1885. The other, Isaac Joseph, was born in the June quater 1884.

In the census of 1891 and 1901 I've found Isaac Joseph the son of Isaac and Elizabeth Emily - nee Uren. They were married September quarter 1880 in Redruth.

A cousin developed a family tree and sent it to me in 2001. The Isaac listed is the son of Isaac and Elizabeth Emily but they listed him as being born January 1885.

So far, I haven't found a record on census's for the Isaac born in 1885. The marriage that I have found that may fit is between Joseph Odgers and Elizabeth Ann Dunstone. These folks married also in Redruth in the September quarter of 1880.

Have I muddied this further?

If the marriage in the US in 1920 has the mothers maiden name on the certificate this serve to confirm which Isaac I'm involved with, but so far haven't had feedback on what info is on those certificates.

Cheers

Colin

P.S I have found numerous trips between England and the USA between 1907 and 1914 involving an Isaac Odgers but because the ages are are so close I don't know if I'm dealing with one or both. Also Stithians and Redruth[town] are within 5 miles of each other and both are in the registration district of Redruth

Only one of these fellows married my grandmother's sister - Hannah Maria Eustice Norman - nee Ball in Butte, Montana in 1920 and had 3 sons - the question is which one?

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Marie C.. View Post
    Marie
    I order all my certs from GRO by cc at www.gro.gov.uk/gro

Register for online ordering with user email/password and the next time it will come up with all the ordering (your address) information. I've only had 2 screw ups in 10 yrs. and certs are £7 standard delivery.

Now Colin you could order from Cornwall Record Office if they do that sort of thing and you can pay by cc, if not GRO is the most effective and efficient way to go.

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Hi Marie

Only one of these fellows married my grandmother's sister - Hannah Maria Eustice Norman - nee Ball in Butte, Montana in 1920 and had 3 sons - the question is which one?
    You can specify the bride's name when ordering the marriage cert. The spelling for either name must be identical to what is on the Register or they won't issue it!

They will charge only £4 for the lookup so you will get £3.50 refunded back to cc if the cert doesn't show the right spouse.
    Last edited by v.wells; 27-09-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: added last bit

Marie C..

Thanks V,
    I have never purchased a cert from outside the UK and you seem to be very familiar with how the process works from across the water.
    Colin,
    There were Odgers in Stithians from way back. Not so many in Redruth.
    Dozens of Joseph Odgers and quite a few Bennet/Benets Odgers in Stithians. Hugh Wallis site shows a Joseph Odger and Temperance having children around 1760's. Thomas Odger and Elizabeth have a Joseph 14 Nov 1785. Joseph Odger and Grace have at least four Joseph henry's between 1846 and 1861. (Presumably most of them died young.)
    I will ask daughter in law(lives in Illogan/ Redruth where the library has many records on fiche and film ) to see if she can find anything on your Isaac when she gets time.
    Also did you know there are Cornwall censuses and stuff on line for free(just Google ).
    Marie

MarkJ

Just noticed something which *may* be of interest

There is a will, written in 1801, for a Joseph ODGERS, Gwennap miner.
    It was proved on 9th July 1802 and lists his wife as Temperance.
    The will also lists 4 daughters and their husbands.

Temperance, the wife of James Pascoe
    Jenefer, the wife of John Dunstone
    Julian, the wife of James Williams
    and
    Sarah, the wife of John Odgers.

Thought this might be of interest Colin

Mark

Colin Rowledge

Default No longer a Geography question

Thanks, Mark, for commenting on this thread today. I had totally forgotten about it

I have more info on the 2 Odgers boys, but have to go out so will update later.

Cheers
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere!! If it has, I'm sure a mod will find it and tell me so.

Isaac Odgers
    Isaac was the son of Joseph [a Stone Mason] and Elizabeth Ann Odgers nee Dunstan. He was born January 28, 1885 @ Trewithen Moor, Stithians, Cornwall. The birth was registered in Redruth District, Sub-District of Gwennap on March 4, 1885. Elizabeth Ann made her mark.

He married Elizabeth Tresidder on November 3, 1906. The wedding took place in the Parish Church in the parish of Illogan and was officiated by the Rector, Harry Oxland.
    The witnesses were Emily Cereta Tresidder and William Francis Tresidder [sister and brother of the bride]

Emily Tresidder
    Emily was the daughter of William [a Miner] and Harriet Jane Tresidder nee Thomas. She was one of 10 children [9 girls and 1 boy]. 2 of her sisters apparently died young. More detail is currently being developed on this family

At the time of the 1911 census they had 2 children. In late 1911 and in the 2nd quarter of 1912, 2 more children were born [parentage Odgers/Tresidder] and copies of these birth cert's are on order.

Isaac Joseph Odgers
    In this instance, I'll refer to him as Joseph. He was the son of Isaac [a Tin Miner] and Elizabeth Odgers nee Uren. He was born March 1, 1884 @ Tresevern, Stithians, Cornwall. The birth was registered in the District of Redruth, Sub-district Gwennap on April 2, 1884. Elizabeth signed her name.

He married Maud Dunstan April 26, 1906 @ the United Methodist Free Church, Fore [?] Street, Redruth. The Minister was Henry Gaunt. The witnesses wre Albert C. Dunstan and William Terrell.

Maud Dunstan
    All I have on Maud at present is that she was the daughter of William Dunstan [a Farmer] at what looks like "Calvenoor", Stithians. She was a spinster and aged 24 at the time of the wedding.

I am looking into off-spring of Joseph and Maud

I am convinced that there is a relationship between the 2 Odgers boys and also Elizabeth Ann [the mother of Isaac] and Maud [the wife of Joseph] but so far have not found the link.

Cheers
    Colin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12