Famous for offering help & advice

Default DELAYED STATEMENT OF BIRTH

Hello fellow Canadian searchers...
    I am wondering if any of you has come across a DELAYED STATEMENT OF BIRTH for the province of Ontario? I am helping a fiamily member search her mother's family who lived very close to where I live. They are a very elusive family and appear to have missed registering events in the family. I found the family on the 1911 Ontario census and tried searching the children's births from the census. One I found on A* with her birth registration being the DELAYED... she was born April 30, 1909, but not registered until 1973. The person signing that the information is correct is listed as " the informant".
    The family was split up in the early 1920's when the father was killed and the family member's Mom was very young. Now, at 88 she would like to know more. I am wondering if the person who signed as the informant would be a family member of the person whose birth was registered. Any ideas? I've looked up the informant's name in our local telephone book...no luck.

Sue

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Sue,
    I've come across several on the Anc* Ontario Births database. This one appears to have been necessary (at age 64) in order for the person to register for Canada Pension. They would need proof of age.

On some of the delayed statements, the informant's relationship, if the informant is not the parent, is given & there is some kind of narrative, e.g . "I am the sister of .....I remember a baby being born on Apr 30..... and this baby, who I was told was my sister. lived in our house and I grew up with her....."

So generally, the informant would have to swear to the correctness of the information and the registrar would have to accept that the informant was knowledgeable enough about the birth to attest to its facts.

Adele

BeeJay

I haven’t come across a delayed registration but I did find a correction once, 63 years after the birth. The woman had been registered as a male child instead of female! Her birth date was out by several months too and the informant in that case was the woman herself.

Like Adele said, given her age she probably needed proof of birth for Old Age Security or Canada Pension.

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Hi Sue,
    I've come across several on the Anc* Ontario Births database. This one appears to have been necessary (at age 64) in order for the person to register for Canada Pension. They would need proof of age.

On some of the delayed statements, the informant's relationship, if the informant is not the parent, is given & there is some kind of narrative, e.g . "I am the sister of .....I remember a baby being born on Apr 30..... and this baby, who I was told was my sister. lived in our house and I grew up with her....."

So generally, the informant would have to swear to the correctness of the information and the registrar would have to accept that the informant was knowledgeable enough about the birth to attest to its facts.

Adele
    Makes perfect sense to me now, reading that answer

I suppose it is plausible in today's modern world, not to have your own birth certificate. You would need one for passport or any other kind of government pension/citizenship/social insurance number? But then I am an immigrant and have always had mine, with the original being given to me by my dad when I turned 21.

Famous for offering help & advice

AdeleE and BeeJay..

I never even thought about the old age pension I have a few years to go! Unfortunatly this one does not give any information about the informant, other than to say " I verify the foregoing to be true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief." signed and dated..

Guess I will have to question hubby's cousin some more!

Thanks for your suggestions. I shall keep digging when I have a moment or two to spare.

Sue

Mary Anne

susan-y

I have also seen this, in Ontario and in other provinces. And in situations where the original birth name was "incorrectly" recorded (i.e. in one case, didn't match the name the person had used all her life); or where there was an error in the date.

And the usual reason is that the person doesn't have the necessary copy of the birth certificate that is now required when you want a pension or a passport or whatever else requires a birth certificate as proof of identity. A birth certificate may never have been issued or has gone missing after several decades... My own (Ontario) birth certificate copy dates from 1958 when my parents applied to include me on a passport that was needed when we made a trip to the UK.

In one case in Alberta, to get her pension, a woman had to have her elder brother, from the husband's first marriage family, swear that she was born on a certain date. Many, many years later, we family researchers have discovered that this woman was actually born out of wedlock, not in Canada and two years before the husband's second marriage to her mother. The original birth entry does not list a father's name, so we can't confirm that the husband was in fact the father... we will likely never know.

Mary Anne