Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Marriage & Birth 1908-1910

I have a William John Parkinson (actually born 1889 William Joseph at Parkhurst Barracks 1889) in the 1911 census for Aldershot a Bandsman in the Army (Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers).
    His wife is Julia Parkinson aged 23 married 2 years 4 months (therefore married December qtr 1908 appox) born Rathvilly Co. Wicklow (sic.) but believe Rathvilly is in Co. Carlow near the border with Co. Wicklow?
    They have a daughter Annie Elizabeth aged 1 (born 1909/10) Rathmines Dublin. I believe Rathmines is a district of Dublin?
    I am trying to find William & Julia's marriage or Annie's birth so as to obtain Julia's maiden name (and then look for her birth). I don't believe Co. Carlow or Dublin City records are available on line?

Any help and guidance welcomed.
    Colin

Reputation beyond repute

See the Irish Civil Registration indexes on Family Search (Record Search Pilot)

Is this your person?

Name: Annie E Parkinson
    Registration district: Dublin South
    Record type: BIRTHS
    Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1910
    Estimated birth year:
    Film number: 101073
    Volume: 2
    Page: 615
    Digital GS number: 4194692
    Image number: 00063
    Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

If so you can order a certificate from GRO Ireland in Roscommon. Service is speedy in my experience.

I had overlooked the Family Search (Record Search Pilot) and how useful it is for Irish research. Many thanks Peter.
    The Annie E Parkinson birth certainly looks like mine. I have never called off a certificate from the GRO Ireland and look forward to the experience.
    Colin

Reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately the only feasible method of payment for most of us in the UK is entrusting credit card details to the postal system. I feel uneasy doing that

I'd be happier just putting a €10 note in the envelope but they don't want that. I wonder what would happen if you did it anyway....

pattenwalsh

I've used the service several times using the credit card details by post option with no problem.You also have the option of sending the completed request by fax which,although it again contains your card details,is possibly a more secure way of ordering.

Hall/Swan

Will they take a bank draft?

Keewatin

I'm certainly hoping they do as I just sent them one.
    Site says cheque in euros payable from an Irish bank.
    I got my credit union to get me one. I did think to tell the young lady that by "Irish bank" I didn't mean Northern Ireland so she called her supervisor . They called me back in a short while and asked if a draft from a Dublin bank would do and I said yes.It cost me 10 euros and $6 and some Canadian ,so altogether about 11.5 UK pounds.
    I hope it's not another one for my dud collection. Nah, couldn't be- the dud collection, which is quite extensive ,is mostly Joneses.
    I plan to give up genealogy altogether if any Jones appear on my Irish branch as they are,so far,the only Jones free branch

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by pattenwalsh View Post
    I've used the service several times using the credit card details by post option with no problem.
    Of course it works most of the time. The point is that it's not very secure and what most people want to avoid is the hassle if your credit card details get into the wrong hands.

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by Keewatin View Post
    I'm certainly hoping they do as I just sent them one.
    Site says cheque in euros payable from an Irish bank.
    I got my credit union to get me one. I did think to tell the young lady that by "Irish bank" I didn't mean Northern Ireland so she called her supervisor . They called me back in a short while and asked if a draft from a Dublin bank would do and I said yes.It cost me 10 euros and $6 and some Canadian ,so altogether about 11.5 UK pounds.
    I hope it's not another one for my dud collection. Nah, couldn't be- the dud collection, which is quite extensive ,is mostly Joneses.
    I plan to give up genealogy altogether if any Jones appear on my Irish branch as they are,so far,the only Jones free branch

Therefore you're trying to keep up with the Joneses!!

I was not happy to post credit card details through the post to order a Birth certificate (for Annie E Parkinson). An associate in Ireland directed me to the Dublin Civil Registration Office who can accept credit card detail orders over the 'phone. The telephone number from England including international dialing code is 00 353 1 6711 968.
    Having got through they needed childs name, date of birth and mothers maiden name. Having only the quarter (March quarter 1910) and mothers christian name of Julia the operator was able to quickly identify the birth record for me. It may just be that without actual birth date of mothers maiden name I may not be so lucky next time.
    Gave credit card details and my home address and was assured I would receive the birth certificate in about 7 days. Total charge 11 Euros.
    It seems film number, volume, page number and so on was of no use for this method of ordering.
    Will report back when certificate arrives.
    Grateful for everyones comments and help.
    Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast