Default The General Register Office Dublin

Hello,

Most of the Irish civil registation after 1920
    are on the computer in the GRO, Dublin
    and the local offices.

Someday it is hoped to be allow to search in their office
    ( dont hold your breath)

Loves to help with queries

Certificate arrived today, very prompt service. Typed, not a scan of original. Annie's mother was Julia nee Lynch. Father as expected William Joseph Parkinson, soldier.
    This method of phoning request and avoiding sending credit card details in the post seems very secure and reliable. Now need to find a marriage between William Parkinson & Julia Lynch, circa 1908, probably in Ireland.
    Colin

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Parkinson View Post
    Certificate arrived today, very prompt service. Typed, not a scan of original. Annie's mother was Julia nee Lynch. Father as expected William Joseph Parkinson, soldier.
    This method of phoning request and avoiding sending credit card details in the post seems very secure and reliable. Now need to find a marriage between William Parkinson & Julia Lynch, circa 1908, probably in Ireland.
    Colin

Have you tred looking for them in 1911 census? Might help cut down on areas!

EVE McL

I have a William John Parkinson (actually born 1889 William Joseph at Parkhurst Barracks 1889) in the 1911 census for Aldershot a Bandsman in the Army (Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers).
    His wife is Julia Parkinson aged 23 married 2 years 4 months (therefore married December qtr 1908 appox) born Rathvilly Co. Wicklow (sic.) . I believe Rathmines is a district of Dublin?
    I am trying to find William & Julia's marriage or Annie's birth
    I think this sounds as if Julia was on the strength and the child was born in the Army barracks at Rathmines. The records will probably have been made by the Army chaplain and be held in the 'Maiscellaneous' section - Chaplains' Returns, not the general Irish GRO indexes.
    You can either see these miscellaneous returns on fiche wheveer a full set of GRO indexes is held 9library, archives, all over UK) or -I think- one or even two of the commercials have them on line for a fee. Someone who uses them this way will know, or check the adverts of the firms.

Thanks for the comments.
    Hall/Swan, I have the 1911 census details at the start of this enquiry. In Aldershot in 1911, daughter born Ireland 1910. From length of marriage on 1911 census William Parkinson & Julia Lynch probably married late 1908. Julia may have been the daughter of another serving soldier as many soldiers married within the regiment. As I cant find a marriage on English GRO I assume married in Ireland or overseas.
    Eve McL, I subscribe to the main genealogical sites (but not all). Chaplins Records of Marriages only covers 1796-1880 for the sites I have access to.
    I will have to widen my search.
    If anyone comes across a marriage for William Parkinson and Julia Lynch arond 1908 then I would be grateful to hear.
    Colin

Brendan Joseph

They married in Dublin South registration district Oct-Dec 1909
    Volume 2
    Page 622

You can order the cert from the GRO

Brendan

Brendan,
    Thank you for the information.
    For my education and others that read this forum how did you find this reference so quickly?
    Appreciate your help.
    Colin

Reputation beyond repute

For my education and others that read this forum how did you find this reference so quickly?
    You could have found it yourself by following the advice provided in message #2 of this thread

Peter,
    You are quite correct the marriage does appear on Family Search (Record Search Pilot).
    I had looked previously (before receiving William & Julia's daughters birth certificate arrived giving me Julia's maiden name - Lynch). Found the reference for William Parkinson marrying Dec qtr 1909 Dublin South and had tried to find corresponding entry for a Julia. However, I don't think I could specify Dublin, South (Dublin, South Australia was returned!) or Dec qtr and far too many Julia's married 1909 in Ireland to find a match with William Parkinson's entry. Much easier to find now Julia's maiden name is known.
    I thank everyone for their help in this thread. Hope my explanation & experience in ordering a certificate from Ireland without having to send credit card details in post or having a cheque drawn from an Irish Bank was helpful for others.
    Colin

Hall/Swan

Ah... Dublin, South Australia brings back memories!!

Stone walls and cottages, very reminiscent of the West of Ireland!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12