mariabyrne

Default Regent's Park Barracks, Upper Albany Street

How would I find out which regiment was based in Regent's Park Barracks , Upper Albany Street, London during the 1851 Census? A relative of mine is on the census list and I'd like to find out more about his army details. Thanks.

Mutley

Wikipedia has this information.

Sometimes if you go to the first page of the census it may give you the regiment on one of the officer's entries.

mariabyrne

Thanks Mutley for such a prompt reply. The 1st Life Guards is written on first line of census for that barracks.

Mutley

Sounds about right Try Wikipedia again

I bet there are thousands of tourist pictures of these lads spread around the world.

mariabyrne

I'm trying to research a man called Harry Hardy who is listed as a trumpeter in Regent's Park Barracks in the 1851 Census. From the help Mutley gave me yesterday I now know it was the 1st Life Guard regiment that was based there. In 1855 he was bandmaster to the Warwick Militia, 1857 bandmaster with 23rd Welsh Fusiliers and by 1859 was bandmaster with the 3rd King's Own Hussars. In 1861 he became bandmaster of the Royal Irish Constabulary Band and held that position until 1873. I'm a complete novice with all this research and I'd like to find out if he has an army record. Would such a thing transfer with him from regiment to regiment? Kneller Hall Royal Military School of Music has nothing on him as he predates their records. Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the National Archives advice here...

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/m....ac=MHhomepage

Shout if there's anything you don't understand.

Mutley

If he was in the 1851 census then he would be too old for the World wars and the service records on the paying sites.

Have you looked at the sites connected to regiments to see what battles he would have been likely to have fought in?

mariabyrne

Would I need to look up each regiment that I think he was part of? I travelled to Kew once and looked up the 3rd Hussars records but could not find Harry Hardy. Some conductors were civilians but I think Harry was an army man. I contacted the Welsh Fusiliers and they have very little records for the 1850s. He didn't receive a medal for their campaign in India as the band may have stayed in Calcutta. I really am finding it difficult to locate this man. Thanhs for the various suggestions.