Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
    I have had a positive result from the archivist at Chethams , she found my 2 relatives and a 3rd who had since left the school.... there was useful info on the family ,their address and details of the boys school achievement. (though one was asked to leave ) Always heartening when you get a result like this. Big thanks to Sueann and Marion for their advice.
    I am thrilled for you If ever you get the chance to visit the area around Chets (as we affectionately call it) please do. It is in the heart of the real historical Manchester, around the Cathedral and the old cobbled streets. Unfortunately, they've built a monstrosity called Urbis (I know I sound like Prince Charles, but he had a point!) right in front of all this history, but if you can shut your eyes till you sneak past, you won't be disappointed.

A distant cousin of mine was one of the early librarians at Chets - Robert Thyer, and his father had a thriving barber's business that catered to the poor orphans at the hospital - he used to shave their hair for nits All this was before your family's time, though Colwyn. I think times were more human in 1911 Manchester - well, marginally

And please forgive me for assuming you were a lady.

sueannbowen

Very pleased for you - I must learn to check my geog before posting.

Sue

Loves to help with queries

Default chethams school

Its heartening to know that someone was kind enough to make provision for the poor and orphans in those difficult times. I've found in my research a number of relatives in the workhouse and even now that makes me feel really sad.
    Its a pity so much of our old cities were torn down before they could be saved and developed.....
    ps You're forgiven Marion ...... Colwyn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12