Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shannon

Default A death certificate to understand please?

It's me again. Now I have a death certificate that I do not understand.
    It is for a death in 1912 in Dover in the County of Kent. Charlotte Annie Calladine, 29 years dies and under occupation it says: Widow of Harold Edward Calladine, drapes (drapers, grapes) assistant.
    Charlotte's maiden name was Calladine, so why would she be the widow of a Calladine unkown to my family tree? Did she marry another calladine that i don't know of? They usually aren't in Kent. (more Derbyshire)

Thank you if anyone can help please.

Shannon

MythicalMarian

Hi Shannon,

Yes - she either married another Calladine (possibly a cousin, if she was a Calladine at birth, as you think) - or - perhaps more likely, you have the wrong Charlotte Calladine's death certificate.

Nicolina

if she did marry it must have been after the 1901 Census

there are 4 Charlottes listed but the only one whose date of birth fits was unmarrried

RG13/3141/60 Page 59
    88, West Hill Drive, Mansfield
    WRIGHT, Joseph Head Married M 50 1851 Grocer b. Witchford, Cambridgeshire
    WRIGHT, Louisa Wife Married F 45 1856 b. Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
    WRIGHT, Charles B Son Single M 9 1892 b. Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
    CALLADINE, Charlotte Servant Single F 18 1883 General Domestic b. Pilsley, Derbyshire

Nicolina

I've just checked FreeBMD for any records for Harold Edward Calladine and there are none. There are some records for Harold Calladine but none that could fit

Marie C..

There are two Charlotte Calladines . One born 1883 and died in Dover Dec.1912 (this I guess is the one for whom you have the death cert.)and another born Dover Sept 1883.
    I cannot find and Calladines in Dover in 1901 census.
    Calladine marrying a Calladine may just mean cousins or distant cousins marrying.
    I can find no Harold Edward Calladine.
    There is a marriage for a Charlotte Calladine marrying a William Greaves in 1902 in Nottingham?
    Marie

Marie C..

I should have said "there are two Charlotte Calladines on A.... connected with Dover" . They may be one and the same. The one for whom you have the death cert.
    There are several Charlotte Calladines born Derbyshire with a birth date around 1882.Are any of these yours. ?
    Who was your Charlotte's father?
    Was he a coal miner?
    Marie

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Shannon,
    More questions.
    Where died?
    Not sure if 'usual address of deceased' is on certificates for that year?
    And most important of all - name, address, etc of informant?
    Pam

Shannon

Default Understanding a death certificate:

Hello listers and thank you to all. I neglected to tell you that I have Charlotte's birth certicate and I apologize for this. In future I will give more information. (boy do I overdo it now!)

I have CHARLOTTE ANNIE CALLADINE born 16/06/1883 in Dover, Kent to John Calladine and Ann C.D., late Williams formerly Williams. (I have traced both parents back to their marriage in India) = by luck.
    Charlotte's father was a general labourer. Their address then was 17 Deburgh Street Charlton.
    On the Charlotte Annie Calladine death certificate dated 5/11/1912, Dover Kent., her age of 29 is correct. It states that her grandmother, Charlotte Hemmings was present at the death at 41 Council House Street, Dover.
    Her maternal grandmothers 1st name was Charlotte who had originally married a John Wilson in Colombo in 1848.(Charlotte's father John Calladine died in Canada in 1907) Her mother, Annie as they called her, went back to England and in the 1901 census Annie is living as a servant with the Nicholl's familyat 17 Arboretum st. Derbyshire = RG13/3219/29/4

I found Charlotte'sdeath on fee BMD. Thank goodness for it if you do get the correct person.

Once again, thank you to all. I suppose she did marry a Calladine and I'll have to seek this out.
    Good luck to all.

Shannon

Lincoln Lad

The only Charlotte Calladine I can find on the 1911 is in Nottingham b 1884.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Shannon,
    Thanks for all the extra information.
    There is one little bit that still puzzles me.
    My immediate reaction was 'oh, granny got her knickers in a twist' and so the registrar has put her occupation in the box for Charlotte. (Based on the theory that it would make sense for a granny to be a widow.)
    But - you say Charlotte's (junior) parents are John Calladine and Ann Williams. So Charlotte Hemmings must be the mother of either John or Ann. Have you proved that link? Or proved that Charlotte senior re-married to have the name of Hemmings in 1912?
    (Sorry, just re-read your info and it says 'Charlotte was Charlotte's maternal grandmother', and there's mentions of Williams and Wilsons, but nothing about Hemmings. I'm a at times!)

If father John died in Canada in 1907 were he and Charlotte in Canada in 1900 for the census there? If so, she might still have been there in 1901, which is why we can't find her in our 1901 census.
    Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast