Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ian Sumpter

Default Tempsford PR Lookup request

Greetings,
    I am searching for the birth date of Benjamin Sansom, possibly at Tempsford ~1773. Benjamin Sansom married Sarah Hills by banns at Tempsford on 17 Aug 1794 and was buried at Tempsford on 19 Mar 1845 (age 72).
    Any information re his parent's name, father's occupation, ectc, would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
    ian

davidcarca

Tempsford parish register has been extracted onto the IGI, and there are no Sansoms in the right period, implying that Benjamin was from another parish. As virtually all Beds parishes pre 1813 are on the IGI it looks as though Benjamin may have been from another county - Tempsford is close to the county boundary with Hunts. (Sure enough, in 1841 his birthplace is shown as Not in Bedfordshire)

Have you checked the marriage entry to see if a parish of residence other than Tempsford is shown?

David

That's odd! I see that back in 2007 I amended the 1841 census entry on Ancestry from Benjaman Sannino to Benjamin Sansom. Now I'll have to check to see why I did that!

davidcarca

I see you posted the same query on another board a couple of years ago, and I see that you were given the same advice and information as above - another researcher had checked Tempsford parish register transcript for you.

Did you check the Tempsford marriage entry for his parish of residence and the names of the witnesses (the witnesses names aren't on the transcript, so can only be found on the microfilm which can be ordered and viewed at your nearest LDS Family History Centre)?

Did you follow up the possibility that Benjamin may have been connected to Benjamin Sansom who married in Hatley St George, Cambs, 6 miles away, in 1725?

David

Ian Sumpter

Hi David,
    thank you very much for the lead on the Sansums from nearby Hatley St. George.... more than likely a key link.

Re the 1841 information for Benjamin Sansom - I take it that the information was from the 1841 census? If so, was there any other 1841 census information regarding his family, ie., name of wife and children?
    cheers,
    ian

davidcarca

1841 census HO107/2/25 folio 6B
    Tempsford
    Benjamin Sansom 60 Ag lab Not born in Beds
    Sarah Sansom 70 Born in Beds
    Mary Bradshaw 35 B in Beds
    Joseph Bradshaw 2 Not b in Beds
    Sarah Bewd 15 B in Beds
    Mary Nickolson 8 Not b in Beds
    William Norton 20 ag lab B in Beds
    Jessey Norton 15 ag lab B in Beds

Ages over 15 were rounded down to the nearest 5 below

Benjamin Sansom age 72 was buried at Tempsford on 19 March 1845

1851 census HO107/1753 folio 9B
    Langford End, Tempsford
    Sarah Sansom head widow 81 pauper b Tempsford
    James Fuller Grand son in law Married 40 Ag lab b Gamlingay Cambs
    Sarah Fuller Grand dau Marr 27 b Tempsford
    Ann Wells lodger unmarr 60 pauper b Tempsford

David

Ian Sumpter

David,
    thank you some much for the 1841/1851 census information on Sarah Sansom.
    cheers,
    ian

Ian Sumpter

Default Tempsford marriage - Benjamin Sansom

David,
    Benjamin Sansom (otp) marriage to Sarah Hills (otp) at Tempsford by banns 17 Aug 1794. Would Tempsford marriage - PR information identify father of groom?
    thanx

davidcarca

No, you would just get the names of the witnesses, which if you're lucky might provide a clue

Ian Sumpter

Thanx David,
    Can that look-up be completed by an individual on this site, or should I order in the Parish records?
    thanx
    ian

davidcarca

The transcripts produced by Bedford Records Office don't include marriage witnesses, so the microfilm would need to be consulted, either by someone who goes into the Records Office, or more easily by ordering and viewing it at your nearest LDS Family History Centre

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast