Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help please.

JessM

Default Help please.

I am helping a friend to research her Jewish roots. Her paternal side are Jacobs - fruit salesmen from Covent Garden.

I have lots of info including a Will, census records; some birth certificates and notices from the Jewish Chronicle - from The Victorian Jew edited by Doreen Berger and from an on-line site). I also have trial transcripts from the Old Bailey web site which have some of the family as witnesses.

However, I am new to Jewish family research and don't have a clue as to what info would be available from syagogues; where to find graves; variations on jewish names etc etc. I am not Jewish and know nothing of Jewish tradition.

Could anyone help point me in the right direction.

The direct line I am researching is:

1. Abraham Jacobs born c1809 Houndsditch
    married
    Rosetta Lazarus

2. Abraham (aka Charles or Charley) Jacobs born 1859 St Paul Covent Garden
    married
    Harriet Wright sometime before 1881

Please note, I have all the census records for this family (and the extended family) but would love to find out where and when Abraham and Rosetta married - their eldest child was born c1835. Abraham remarried after Rosetta's death and we have sent off for this marriage certificate which will hopefully give us the name and occupation of Abraham's father.

I'm having no luck in finding the index number for the marriage of Abraham junior to Harriet Wright. So, any help with that would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jess

Knowledgeable and helpful

A month or so ago I came across a couple of sites concerning Jewish genealogy/roots...I'll see if I can find them again asap and let you know.
    Browneyes

Mutley

It might be worth looking at the
    JEWISH GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY OF GREAT BRITAIN site.

Mutley

When did Rosetta die?
    The above site has a burial at Brady Street, E1 for Rosetta Jacobs on 21 March 1852. (Section SWALL, Row 8, Plot 32).

There are two in East Ham, 1926 and 1945, obviously not her but maybe descendants.

I could not see any marriage records, only 1880 - 1891 are indexed. Sorry

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by JessM View Post
    I am new to Jewish family research and don't have a clue as to what info would be available from syagogues; where to find graves; variations on jewish names etc etc.
    Try the British Jewry website. It has many birth, marriage and burial databases, both pre and post civil registration, and lots of useful background information for those new to Jewish research.

The site is being worked on at the moment and some resources aren't available, but it's worth bookmarking and coming back to. It has a specifically UK focus, and is rather easier to find your way around than the massive worldwide resources on the JGSGB site.

Kerrywood

One of the sites is www.
    jewishgen.org - you need to register in order to search or submit a query. I've searched a little but not thoroughly without finding anything definate but there might be names on there that you recognise so I'll leave it to you now. In the confirmation email they send you there's a good link to information about searching/FAQs.

Haven't found the other site yet.
    Browneyes

The other one was

theus.org.uk/support_services/find_your_family/marriage_records/

To search for a name you need to scroll down to the bottom of the page and enter the details.
    Browneyes

JessM

Default Thank you!

Thank you to everyone who responded to my "help" message. I have taken note of all the suggestions made and will follow up on them.

Jess

JessM

Default To Mutley

I haven't worked out how to send a reply to an individual as yet but this is in reply to the response from Mutley.

Rosetta died in 1868

Mar 1868 Strand 1b 361

Jess

Mutley

Rosetta died in 1868

Mar 1868 Strand 1b 361

Jess
    That is a shame, I doubt it is her burial in 1852 then.

I haven't worked out how to send a reply to an individual as yet but this is in reply to the response from Mutley.
    Jess
    Replies to one person or to all are posted exactly as you have done so that everyone can see the 'story of a thread'. We often chat or comment amongst ourselves while replying.

Should you want to send a personal message to someone that you do not want seen by anyone else, one that is private or not connected to the thread, then you click on their user name and then click 'Send a Private Message to XXXX'. Write your message and submit it in exactly the same way as you do on the open forum but it will be received only by the person you have sent it to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast