Thread: A Brickwall

Alan Nancarrow

Default A Brickwall

I have been trying to locate my gg-grandmother's birth for some time now, having been in and out of the too hard basket many times. I'm hoping someone out there can help. This is what I know. Her name is Elizabeth Ann Tippett.

The earliest I have located her is in the 1861 Census, where she is resident with her future husband, John Nancarrow and his parents William and Elizabeth. She and John marry 13 July 1861 Parish Church St Enoder; her fathers name is given as William Jacka. John dies in 1871 and she and their 5 children emigrate to Austrlia in 1878. She marries a second time in Sydney in 1885 to a Paul Tonkin and gives her father's name as William Tippett (d'csd) and her mother's name as Ann 'surname unstated' (strange?). Elizabeth died in 1926, her age being given as 84. Her father's name given as 'given name not stated' Tippet, mother's name 'not stated'. If her age at death is correct, then that would give her a birth year abt 1841-42. Today on the IGI I found an Elizabeth Ann Tippett born 6 July 1841, mother's name Ann Tippett, which gels with the name given on her second marriage certificate, however I was unable to verify the date with '1837 online' for the Sep Qtr 1841. I have trawled the 1851 census for Newlyn East/St Enoder but was unable to find Ann Tippet with or without William Tippett or Jacka with daughter Elizabeth Ann aged about 9. (My thinking is that she was illegitimate, probably.)

Any thoughts and help locating her/them on the 1851 census would be much appreciated, thanks.

Regards, Alan

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Hi Alan,

You wrote: Today on the IGI I found an Elizabeth Ann Tippett born 6 July 1841, mother's name Ann Tippett, which gels with the name given on her second marriage certificate, however I was unable to verify the date with '1837 online' for the Sep Qtr 1841.

Just a couple of things to think about ..... if the entry on the IGI says 'born' and the entry was submitted by an LDS Member, it should be treated with caution.

If the entry says 'baptised' then she could have been born the previous Qtr (June Qtr) or before that even.

You could try two things ....... either trawl 1837.com again in earlier Qtrs. or write to the OPC for the said Parish and request a baptism confirmation of the date from the IGI (if it is a baptism date).
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Default a possible from FreeBMD

Surname Given Name District Volume Page
    Births Mar 1842
    JACKA Elizabeth Ann Penzance 9 223

Births Mar 1841
    Tippett Elizabeth Penzance 9 _91

Births Jun 1842
    Tippet Elizabeth Truro 9 328

I like the first one, both names and JACKA.

Christine
    Australia

Scottie

Default Another Nancy

[QUOTE=Alan Nancarrow]I have been trying to locate my gg-grandmother's birth for some time now, having been in and out of the too hard basket many times. I'm hoping someone out there can help. This is what I know. Her name is Elizabeth Ann Tippett.

You did not find her in Newlyn East Alan because she was in the St Columb Major Union Workhouse aged 10. I have her mother Ann as being in the Butts, alias Poorhouse in Newlyn East in 1841 aged 20 so that is where Elizabeth will have been born as the census was 7 Jun 1841. It looks as if Mother was dead by 1851.

It is complicated by another Nancy Tippett also born Newlyn East who was in St Columb Minor but she married William Flamank and died in Cardinham so I think your Ann Tippett was the daughter of Thomas Tippett and Jane and she was with them in 1841 awaiting the birth of Elizabeth who was in the St Columb Union in 1851 and probably farmed out from there to the Nancarrow Family
    Last edited by Scottie; 26-03-2005 at 12:41 PM. Reason: More information

Alan Nancarrow

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much. Once more you have saved my sanity. Elizabeth's origins have been baffling me for the last three years and I could never get any further back than the marriage.

St Columb Major isn't available yet at 'Cornish Census online' for 1851, and having no idea who Ann's parents could be and how old she was made it hard to locate her on the 1841 census. Finding the IGI record yesterday and the possibility that Elizabeth could be illegitimate gave me the idea that Ann might have been young, but that is as far as I could get. The IGI record gives the birth date of 6 Jul 1841 and a christening date of 28 May 1846 and there is no mention of it having been submitted by an LDS member - it says extracted record. I always treat 'familysearch' info with a great deal of caution because I have noted especially where some of Elizabeth's descendants are concerned the 'submitted' information is inaccurate and incomplete.

I guess that William Jacka could be her father, a fact she couldn't deny in the place where people knew (hence the name on the marriage certificate), but far from there on the other side of the world he could be become William Tippett? Perhaps some things are destined to remain a mystery (at least until we can time travel!) Thanks again,

Regards, Alan