Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mary Anne

Default Heneage Goldie PASEA - Trinidad Light Horse

Hello, folks

I am looking for any information at all on a man named Heneage Goldie PASEA, who supposedly was a member of the Trinidad Light Horse. He lived in Streatham Lodge, Tunapuna, St. George County, Trinidad around 1890. (Streatham Lodge was apparetnly subsequently named PASEA - after this family?)

About the only other thing I know of him is that he is supposed to have married Selina Margaret MACKENZIE at Trinity Church in Port of Spain on 12 June 1890. Her parents were Rowland Poyntz MACKENZIE and Rosalie MacEwen WAINRIGHT.

TIA

Mary Anne

Brick wall demolition expert!

I do see a Goldie & Margaret Pasea travelling from Trinidad to Southampton on the Atrato, arriving June 12, 1911. They are classed as British Colonials, no ages given.

Also Mrs. H G Pasea travelling from Trinidad to Southampton on the Atrato again, arriving 9 Jun 1902, classed as British Subject, English, and no age given.

Adele

Mary Anne

Thanks, Adele! Is this from A***?

I have also found, on GeneaNet, a pay-per-view site, a reference for the Commonwealth & Empire Review, where it says: "Heneage Goldie Pasea of the Trinidad Light Horse had the double honour of being selected to attend both the...".... and then it stops -- to access this would cost over 3 Euros It doesn't say reliably which volume...

I have found FREE downloads of the various volumes (1-more than 19 but with some missing...) of the Commonwealth & Empire through the Internet Archive, but searches of the volumes available there do not come up with "Heneage Goldie Pasea". I would have thought his name different enough to pop something up...And now I am curious what he was able to attend....and when!?

What an odd name! Anyone any ideas about it?

Mary Anne

Yes, those were 2 UK incoming passenger lists from Anc*

I've found the Pasea surname back to 1813 in Trinidad in the "Slave Registers of former British Colonial Dependencies, 1812-1834" on Anc*, slave owners names John Pasea, John Townshend Pasea & Ann Pasea.

Also if you google "Monro Pasea", there is a google book in which he's mentioned as a plantation owner.

A Monroe T Pasea is on the 1900 US census in Brooklyn New York:

Monroe T Pasea, b Sept 1855 Trinidad, parents born Trinidad, married 16 years, immigrated 1899 (can't decipher occupation)
    Norma Pasea, b. Sept 1859 Trinidad, (father born Canada, mother b. Trinidad)
    Ivy Pasea, b. Sept 1884 Trinidad
    Dorothy Pasea b. Jun 1887, Trinidad
    Leslie M Pasea b. Jul 1888, Trinidad

Adele

Mary Anne

Hm. Thanks, Adel. More to be going on with....

Mary Anne

Bingo! from Archive.org

"Great Britain in the coronation year; being a historical record of the crowning of Their Imperial Majesties King George the Fifth and Queen Mary"

Page 346, 347

CAPTAIN HENEAGE GOLDIE PASEA. of the Trinidad Light Horse, has had the double honour of being selected to attend both the Coronation of the late King Edward VII. and likewise that of King George. He is a son of the late Honourable Archibald Monro Pasea, Member of the Legislative Council, and was born at Streatham Lodge Estate, Trinidad, British West Indies, the family residence, on the 25th October, 1858. Educated at the Queen's Royal College there, he began his business career as a sugar planter, and subsequently turned his attention to the development of the cocoa planting industry in the island. He married, first, in January, 1882, Louisa St. John Dyett, daughter of the late Dr. Dyett, of St. Kitts, who died in 1883, leaving one daughter, Annie Dudley ; second, in June, 1890, Selina Margaret McKenzie, daughter of the late Rowland P. McKenzie, Esq., sugar planter, Trinidad, and granddaughter of the late Lieut.-Colonel Alexander William McKenzie.
    In 1889 he entered the Civil Service of Trinidad, and the following are some of the numerous positions and appointments he has held, namely : Ward Officer and Assistant Supervisor, Tacarigna ; Clerk of the Peace of St. Joseph, Arima, and Port of Spain ; Chief Clerk to the Surgeon-General; Acting Warden of Arima and Cedros ; and Acting Stipendiary Justice of the Peace of Arima , Couva, San Fernando, Cedros and Mayaro. In August, 1911, he was appointed Stipendiary Justice and Warden of Toco, and is now Acting Stipendiary Magistrate of Arima, Trinidad.

Captain Pasea joined the Trinidad Light Infantry in 1888, and was transferred to the Burnley Carbineers, Mounted Volunteers, in 1889, when he was promoted to the rank of Corporal. This troop has now been merged in the Trinidad Light Horse. He took an active part in the suppression of the riots in Trinidad in 1903.

There's even a photo of him.

Adele

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    CAPTAIN HENEAGE GOLDIE PASEA. of the Trinidad Light Horse, has had the double honour of being selected to attend both the Coronation of the late King Edward VII. and likewise that of King George.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    I do see a Goldie & Margaret Pasea travelling from Trinidad to Southampton on the Atrato, arriving June 12, 1911. They are classed as British Colonials, no ages given.

Also Mrs. H G Pasea travelling from Trinidad to Southampton on the Atrato again, arriving 9 Jun 1902, classed as British Subject, English, and no age given.
    Coronation Dates:

Edward VII Alexandra of Denmark 9 August 1902
    George V Mary of Teck 22 June 1911

Adele

Mary Anne

AdeleE

You're a genius!! What a treasure trove that is!

Thank you!

Mary Anne

peterpasea

from Peter,Heneage Goldie Pasea was born on 25

Mary Anne

Quote Originally Posted by peterpasea View Post
    from Peter,Heneage Goldie Pasea was born on 25
    Hello, Peter, and welcome to Brit-Gen forums!

Thank you for this info - I have him born 25 October 1858 in Tunapuna, at the Streatham Lodge Estate, according to a book, "Great Britain in the Coronation Year" where his bio was printed as he was one of the Trinidad contingent to go to England for the Coronation of King George V. Do you by any chance have access to a birth registration for him? or any other info?

His second wife was a second cousin, once removed, to my husband, Alex Mackenzie.

Mary Anne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast