Nicolina

Default Grace CANTY - where from?

On 8th February 1786 Michael BROWN married Grace CANTY at Hessle, Yorkshire. They then returned to Michael's home in Wootton, Lincolnshire where they had my 3xGreat Grandfather in 1787, plus at least one more child, Charles in 1789. I have the Brown line back way before Michael but I cannot find out where Grace came from. I'm beginning to think that she was a figment of some-one's imagination and my 3xGreat Grandfather was found under a gooseberry bush.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    TIA,
    Elaine

Nicolina

thanks Finbar. I did spot it just after posting. I do not know why I never checked there before, but I did believe that she might have been Irish, It seems strange that they should travel so far to get married and immediately return to Lincolnshire. It cannot have been easy to get to Hessle before the bridge was built at Boothferry, or the ferry service started.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Nicolina...I have just clicked on Mapquest UK....Hessle to Wootton is only 14.7 miles.....so that`s not a great distance away...there are 273 matches for Canty in Lincolnshire on GR so it appears to be a Lincolnshire based name....I take your point though about the river crossing from Hessle to Barton...if you look to the right of Barton you will see GOXHILL.....there are a lot of Canty born in Goxhill on GR....allan