pottoka

Unhappy William Hudson NOT born Weston-upon-Trent

The first written mention of my 3xgreat-grandfather, William Hudson, that I can find is his marriage in October 1795. He was married in the parish of Swarkeston, in the county of Derbyshire where presumably his wife was working (she wasn't born there), and the register says that he is of the parish of Weston-upon-Trent.

I have combed through the Parish Registers of Weston-upon-Trent and the Bishop's Transcripts, and there was a Hudson family living there around 1770-1775. They did not have a child called William, and the father died in 1775. There is the possibility of a posthumous child, I suppose, perhaps baptised in the Workhouse or in the mother's parish if she was taken back in by relatives.

Thoughtlessly, William Hudson died just before the application of the Registration Act of 1837 - in July 1837; he could have hung on for a couple of months! But the Parish Register says that he was 74 when he was buried, which gives me a birth date of 1763 or thereabouts. He was probably illiterate and innumerate, so I am not taking it for gospel truth, but it certainly means that he could not have been born in Weston-upon-Trent where there were no Hudsons until several years later.

I know that there exist lists of people who moved into villages, kept, I think, by the local parish so that they could send them home if they became a burden on the public purse. Where do I go to find this kind of list, please? Do they have a specific name that I should be using?

Marie C..

Pottake ,
    Could not your William Hudson have been the first or so child of the Weston Upon Trent Hudsons (Joseph and Elizabeth)before they moved to Weston?..hence though the younger ones were baptised there ,( the last one looks like Sarah in 1774) William was born/baptised elsewhere. Childbearing years could be spread over 25 years or so.
    Did William and hannah have a son Joseph or daughter Elizabeth?
    Marie

Have you tried a site called Yesterdays Journey's by Micheal Spencer? (please Google for it). There are records of all sorts listed on it.

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Marie C.. View Post
    Pottoka ,
    Could not your William Hudson have been the first or so child of the Weston Upon Trent Hudsons (Joseph and Elizabeth)before they moved to Weston?..hence though the younger ones were baptised there, (the last one looks like Sarah in 1774) William was born/baptised elsewhere. Childbearing years could be spread over 25 years or so.
    Did William and Hannah have a son Joseph or daughter Elizabeth?
    Marie
    It's obviously a possibility, but where did they come from? Where was he born, and how do I trace the line further back?

Yes, William's first son was called Joseph. Then there was James, John, Thomas and Samuel before a girl came along who was called Mary, the name of Hannah's mother. Then Daniel and twins Henry and Elizabeth, and finally Francis. No William, strangely enough, after Hannah's father and husband, and no Ann/Hannah after her.

Hannah had ten babies from 1798 to 1818, with about two or three years between each birth, if the baptisms are anything to go by; some of the birth dates are given. Pretty much par for the course in those days, except that none of them appear to have died in infanthood. Elizabeth died when she was 14, and some of them don't show up on the Censuses, but they seem to have got through childhood which is pretty good going.

pottoka

Thumbs up Settlement certificates

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    Have you tried a site called Yesterdays Journey's by Micheal Spencer? (please Google for it). There are records of all sorts listed on it.
    Settlement certificates! I knew that there was a name for them! Thank you, Neil. You have told me exactly where to find the site where I had seen them before, for another Derbyshire village.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though Weston-upon-Trent managed to keep their certificates, but I shall go through the villages close by or, if necessary, the whole lot to see if I can find the Hudson family. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Marie C..

Pottoka,
    I have been through many of the villages/towns in Derbyshire on Hugh Wallis and there seem to be very few William Hudsons.(maybe babies named William died young?)
    There is a William baptised Wirksworth 04 March 1768 (4 yrs out) but a possibility.

Wm and Hannah also had May Hudson(do you suppose this is Mary?) born 1809 Christened 24 Dec 1809 and Samuel born 1807 but christened together with John and Thomas in Osmaston 24 Dec 1809.
    There were Hudsons in Bakewell from 1600's.William Hudson chris. Bakewell 31 July 1744 father William /mother Ruth and others christened at St. Nicholas Derby.

Sometimes I have found that a person whom I see and dismiss as not right beccause date or place was wrong turn out to be my missing one . Sometimes they are not where you expect them to be.
    Hope you have some luck with settlement papers. That is a very good site Neil gave the link for.
    Marie

pottoka

Pottoka,
    I have been through many of the villages/towns in Derbyshire on Hugh Wallis and there seem to be very few William Hudsons.(maybe babies named William died young?)
    There is a William baptised Wirksworth 04 March 1768 (4 yrs out) but a possibility.
    Marie
    That's good news, Marie! The less there are of them, the less I have to choose from. William from Wirksworth sounds quite likely; four years out in those days was pretty good maths. I shall have to see if I can find him elsewhere in 1841.

He and Hannah were rather the beginning of a dynasty, and there are no end of trees on A* which have William and Hannah in them. But somebody, a long time ago, calculated, or perhaps just decided, that William was born about 1775 in Weston-upon-Trent, so that's what it says in most trees.

Pottoka,
    Wm and Hannah also had May Hudson (do you suppose this is Mary?) born 1809 Christened 24 Dec 1809 and Samuel born 1807 but christened together with John and Thomas in Osmaston 24 Dec 1809.
    Marie
    Yes, they had four of the children baptised together. The St Osmund Parish Record says: "1809, Dec 24th:
    Baptd Three sons and One daughter of Willm and Hannah Hudson, viz, John born 1802, Thomas born 1804, Samuel born 1807 and Mary born 1809."
    So the May whom you found is actually Mary.

Pottoka,
    Hope you have some luck with settlement papers. That is a very good site Neil gave the link for.
    Marie
    I knew the site existed, having visited it before, but I couldn't remember its name or anything. There's lots of information on it. A big thank you to Neil. I have now bookmarked it!