Wendy Jean

Default Copper mines in Redruth

Hi everyone, I am hoping for some information. I know from the 1861 census that my g,grandfather Michael Tregoning,was working as a copper miner and living in Redruth. I would like to find out where he might have been working and if records exist of miners from those days.
    Also can anyone reommend a book about the conditions of miners and life in the 1800s?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

There probably is a book concerning the Redruth area miners, but you might find p.98-104 of "The copper & Lead mines around the manifold valley (North Staffordshire)" by Lindsey porter & John Robery interesting as to wages, living costs, transport etc in that area

AnnR

I have a book I bought is a second hand book shop A History of Copper Mining in Cornwall and Devon by D B Barton. I'm not sure if it's still available, but a search on one of the used book websites such as AddALL may locate something. It's also worth looking at the online shop on the Geevor Tin Mine site for books about Cornish mining. If any of your female ancestors worked in mining (and you may not know until you search) have a look at the Balmaiden website. Even if they didn't the information on women mine workers is interesting and useful for social conditions and family life.

Jan1954

Hello Wendy Jean,

You may also find that this book is of interest.

Wendy Jean

Quote Originally Posted by mikejee View Post
    There probably is a book concerning the Redruth area miners, but you might find p.98-104 of "The copper & Lead mines around the manifold valley (North Staffordshire)" by Lindsey porter & John Robery interesting as to wages, living costs, transport etc in that area
    Thanks Jan, I will search that out. I wasn't sure what was available.
    Wendy

Wendy Jean

Quote Originally Posted by AnnR View Post
    I have a book I bought is a second hand book shop A History of Copper Mining in Cornwall and Devon by D B Barton. I'm not sure if it's still available, but a search on one of the used book websites such as AddALL may locate something. It's also worth looking at the online shop on the Geevor Tin Mine site for books about Cornish mining. If any of your female ancestors worked in mining (and you may not know until you search) have a look at the Balmaiden website. Even if they didn't the information on women mine workers is interesting and useful for social conditions and family life.
    Great! Thanks so much. I will check these out.
    Wendy

Wendy Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello Wendy Jean,

You may also find that this book is of interest.
    Done! Thanks so much, I can't wait for it to arrive!
    Wendy

MarkJ

As regards the actual mine, you may find it difficult to track that down. Redruth was right in the heart of the mining area and there were lots and lots of mines....

Mark

Wendy Jean

Quote Originally Posted by AnnR View Post
    This is just great. You have all been so helpful - nothing is going to get done around the house today!
    Wendy

gasser

This site cornwall-calling.co.uk/mines was found by google search ( there is a link to books on Cornwall mining) and included is this book about Cornwall mining - A Miner's Tale: The Story of Howard Mankee by J. A. Buckley
    Softcover, Penhellick Publications, ISBN 1871678005 (1-871678-00-5)
    A visit to the Cornwall Council website online catalogue - holds mining records which might interest you.