marlenesmith

Post women working in munition factories

I am writing a back story to war letters (that I have inherited) written by an airman from the Middle East during WW2. I would like to know when women
    without dependent children were required to work in munition factories; the month and year would be most helpful. Also if someone knows the location of the Ferranti factory in Chadderton/Oldham I would be grateful. I live in Melbourne Australia so I am limited to the net for research until I can get to Oldham next January.

Keyboard86

Quote Originally Posted by marlenesmith View Post
    I am writing a back story to war letters (that I have inherited) written by an airman from the Middle East during WW2. I would like to know when women
    without dependent children were required to work in munition factories; the month and year would be most helpful. Also if someone knows the location of the Ferranti factory in Chadderton/Oldham I would be grateful. I live in Melbourne Australia so I am limited to the net for research until I can get to Oldham next January.
    Hi Marlene, Welcome to the forum as I see it is your first post, lets see if I can help re Ferranti, when I googled "Ferranti factory in Chadderton" it came up with many site which I am sure will interest you.

All the best in your search
    Keyboard86

Jan1954

Hello Marlene - welcome to Brit-Gen,

You may find this book of particular interest as it covers Chadderton.

Loves to help with queries

I know its a long time since you posted but I came across your post whilst browsing. My mother actually worked in the Ferranti factory during the war. She did soldering on radios for planes, something to do with the new radar.

BeeE586

This is not entirely relevant to your enquiry, just background.

During the war I worked in Bolton and lived in a womens' hostel. The government had taken over Bolton Technical College and used their workshops to train women for munitions work. They had also taken over a former orphanage, Chadwick House, where the women stayed for three weeks during their training before moving on, when another group would arrive. I was not a munitions trainee, but worked in the town and lived in the hostel.

Some of these women might have worked for Ferranti - Bolton is not all that far away.

Eileen

Loves to help with queries

I omitted to say that my mother worked in Ferrantis Hollinwood which is Oldham but could be said to be Chadderton.