Witchypoo

Default American Army Units based in Tilbury Essex

Can any one help or maybe offer some advice..... I am trying to find out what American Army Units were based at the Recreation Ground in St Chads Road Tilbury Essex. Does any one have any idea where I may obtain this information, this was during the ww2. This is a relatively new area for me so I am not sure if I have put this in the right place.

Any help would be grateful.

Regards

Witchypoo

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    I am not sure if I have put this in the right place.
    I've moved it to the WWII forum.

Reputation beyond repute

Perhaps ask Thurrock Local History Society?

bamagirl

Hi, Witchypoo.

You may be able to find something at the US National Archives:
    www.
    archives.gov

They are more geared toward finding service records of specific people, but they also have collections of more general records. I did a search on Tilsbury and came up with nothing, but you know more what you are looking for so may have better luck.

I'll do some other cursory poking around from this end. Is there something / someone you are hunting that would help me search?

-Barb

Well, first I guess I need to get the spelling straight: Tilbury, not Tilsbury.

Found this:

Tilbury (S2) D-Day Marshalling Area Camp S2

Tilbury Docks (E5) WWII D-Day Embarkation Area E5
    on a forum called Airfield Information Exchange in a thread called "Army Camps / Barracks Essex"
    www.
    airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?6822-Army-Camps-Barracks-Essex

So that may help find which units were assigned to those areas.

Still looking...

-Barb
    Last edited by bamagirl; 16-03-2012 at 3:47 PM. Reason: Additional info

Witchypoo

St Chads School, Tilbury? WWII D-Day Sector HQ and Embarkation Area (S & T) E5

Thank you Barb this would seem the case. I am looking to find any units that may have been there particulary in the catering corps.

Many thanks I know its not lot to go on at the moment but will try and fiind out more

Regards

Witchypoo (colleen)

bamagirl

Hi, Colleen (always loved that name),

I'm glad to help where I can. I've got to go do paid work in a few, but when I can I'll do some more looking from this side of the pond.

I don't think the Yanks would have called it a "catering corps." The slang term is "mess." I would need to look up the proper military nomenclature.

Until later,
    Barb

bamagirl

Okay, Colleen. One more piece of info and then I really need to go make some money!!! Is there a 12-step program for family research addicts???

Here's a link from the Army Quartermaster Museum at Fort Lee, Virginia:

www.
    qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/WWII/food_service_program.htm

I suppose the parent site would have additional information that may help you further.

Gotta go. I really mean it this time. LOL!
    -B

Witchypoo

12 step programme I dont think so I dont k ow what that is

Colleen

bamagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    12 step programme I dont think so I dont k ow what that is

Colleen
    In the US we have many groups that help addicts of various kinds. The first was Alcoholics Anonymous that follow 12 steps to kicking the habit or whatever. Now we have all kinds of "anonymous" groups that are modelled on these 12 steps. I don't know what they are because I've never belonged to any of these groups. I have found, however, that once I'm on a roll doing family research, I find it difficult to stop. Thus the comment.

Didn't mean to confuse.

Was that last link of any use?

-Barb

Witchypoo

Hi barb

I found the article very interesting. I have sent a email to them to see if that can shed an light on it

My dad has given me a name of Peter Howarth not sure of the spelling. or whether that is correct as my dad is getting on now

regards

Colleen
    Last edited by Witchypoo; 16-03-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: mispelt