Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Jan65
    I've done the search of W0344 and have come up with a file which if I understand it correctly, holds the interviews of prisoners with surnames between those of GORE - GQABI, so presumably my uncle George, surname of GOTT will be within this
    That's correct WO344/122

IF he gave an interview. Presumably they weren't ALL interviewed? Are they audio records or written records?
    A large percentage of prisoners were interviewed; exceptions were the likes of one of my uncles who was released from a camp and flown home the day after the war in Europe ended..........unfortunately the Lancaster in which he was flying, crashed; talk about bad luck!.

The interviews are written records.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by ordering "a copy via digital express". There doesn't seem to be a purchase button on the screen.
    My apologies for getting your hopes up, unfortunately the facility for this type of record is no longer available.

Do TNA have researchers that I could contact? I can't get there myself unfortunately.
    Yes, fom the home page move you cursor over 'Reserach and Learning' a drop-down menu should appear and 'paying for research' should appear at the bottom of the list. I think some digging around at TNA may well provide some interesting detail to further your resarch.

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissP View Post
    This book is written by a Changi POW, and which I very much recommend. It was a fascinating, horrific, informative and sad read, but without being sentimental in my opinion. However contains very few personal names, so don't expect to find your relative named here.

Darkness Before The Dawn - A Diary of a Changi P.O.W. 1941-1945
    by Sgt. J N Farrow
    Thank you LittleMissP - they've got one of these on ebay so I might order it. Thanks again.

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    That's correct WO344/122

A large percentage of prisoners were interviewed; exceptions were the likes of one of my uncles who was released from a camp and flown home the day after the war in Europe ended..........unfortunately the Lancaster in which he was flying, crashed; talk about bad luck!.

The interviews are written records.

My apologies for getting your hopes up, unfortunately the facility for this type of record is no longer available.

Yes, fom the home page move you cursor over 'Reserach and Learning' a drop-down menu should appear and 'paying for research' should appear at the bottom of the list. I think some digging around at TNA may well provide some interesting detail to further your resarch.
    Thank you very much for your help Geoffers. Shame I could no longer order online, never mind! I'll look at the Research and Learning section and see what comes of that. I would love to find out more if it's not too expensive.

Many thanks!

Dizzy600

Hi Jan,
    My grandfather was also captured in Singapore and held as a POW. I'd be interested to hear how you get on if you do hire a researcher and what records they can come up with.

Karen

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy600 View Post
    Hi Jan,
    My grandfather was also captured in Singapore and held as a POW. I'd be interested to hear how you get on if you do hire a researcher and what records they can come up with.

Karen
    Hi Karen

Thanks for your message. Looks as though hiring a TNA researcher is expensive - £60 per hour, so I might have to wait a while. However if I do go ahead, or maybe in the future, I'll post again on this thread to let you know.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Jan65 View Post
    Hi Karen

Looks as though hiring a TNA researcher is expensive - £60 per hour, so I might have to wait a while.
    Maybe have a look here instead?

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Maybe have a look here instead?
    Thank you Jan1954 for this link - I looked through them but couldn't see anyone who offers to go to TNA - or have I misunderstood their blurbs? I'm not used to this hiring lark, I've managed to do most of my research myself, luckily, as so far it's been reasonably local. I'm now delving into unknown realms! Forgive me if I've misunderstood, I'm very grateful for any advice whatsoever.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Jan65 View Post
    I looked through them but couldn't see anyone who offers to go to TNA
    This one does.

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    This one does.
    Ahah! Missed that one, didn't scroll down far enough! Many thanks Jan. Although still quite expensive, at least you get three hours' research for roughly the same price. Worth considering, definitely. Thanks again!

Dizzy600

Hi Jan,
    I had a look at the National Archives site under 'Independant Researchers' which is under the TNA research blurb. Choose the subject POW's etc and that came up with a list of researchers who go the TNA. Some of them had websites which list their fees etc. Definitely not as expensive as the TNA! I am tempted - it would be great to find an interview.
    Karen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast