Hello Paul,

I think I may have already told you that Mrs Forster and Mr Merlin sailed from Sydney to Melbourne in December 1860. Today I’ve found that Mrs Forster (51) and H. Merlin (30) sailed from Melbourne on the White Star ship “Blue Jacket” on 3 June 1862 headed for Liverpool.

I returned home from Adelaide at the weekend and checking through papers I’ve found a letter I received in 2004 from Raymond B.-M. with a family account by Kenneth B.-M. written in 1986. Both men are great-grandsons of H.B.M. Almost certainly you already have the information they have provided.

Have you been able to find out more about H.B.’s father from the birth record?

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by PandFF View Post
Hello Richard,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have read your article on "Merlin of the South" - very interesting reading. I don't have it with me to draw on but I am presently in Norfolk, UK, trying to trace some more details on, particularly, his grandfather. Nevertheless, I have now seen Henry Beaufoy's birth record which confirms his birth in the Wells area in 1830. Interestingly, he also appears in the 1851 census living with his maternal aunt, Mary Leeder, in West Winch, (not far from Wells), in which he is described as a "Reporter for Newspaper". It would be interesting to discuss how this fits into your research on his early life.

I will be back in Aus shortly and would like to correspond via email to discuss detail which is not appropriate for the Board, if you agree.

Regards,

Paul.