Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yellabelly

Default Finding Information

In a newspaper article about the death of my great grandfather in 1953 it said he suffered from gas poisoning after "he had been gassed in 1940 whilst in the service of the admirlty" but I cannot find any family who know his war history. How would I find out where he served and what actually happened to him

Keyboard86

Hi YellaBelley, welcome so that people can help what is his name, and anymore info you have on him, to help.
    Best regards
    Keyboard86

Yellabelly

His name was Henry Stokes Brown born in 1883 in Wainfleet/Croft area of lincolnshire. He died tragically in 1953 on Skegness beach the newspaper article said that at the inquest it was revieled that he had been "gassed in 1940 whilst in the service of the admiralty" I don't know anyone now you could shed light on his war record. I don't know if he was in the first world war or anything else. I would just love to know more about him.

v.wells

Birth: Henry Stokes Brown 1883 Spilsby, Lincs vol 7a p 601 2Q

1891 Census RG12/2602/778/3
    George W. Brown Head 35 farm labourer
    Ellen Brown Wife 35
    Clara daughter 6
    Charles son 15 Farm labourer
    John Wm. son 10 scholar
    Henry S. son 8 scholar
    Allis daughter 4
    All born Wainfleet St. Mary, Lincs

1901 Census RG13/3074/51/18
    Henry Brown boarder age 18 farm waggoner born Wainfleet St. Mary Lincs

So he would have been old enough for both Wars. Have you tried TNA (the national archives)? for War/Medal cards? If he served in WW2 you will only get WW1 records and then you have to apply to Veteran's Association for WW2 with proof of your relationship. Do you know if he married and to whom?
    Last edited by v.wells; 03-09-2009 at 9:16 PM. Reason: left out birthplace on 1901

v.wells

Death Registration
    Henry S. Brown 1953 Spilsby vol 3b p 390 4Q
    age 70

Death cert and/or marriage cert might give Regiment #'s

v.wells

Odd - 2 sets of marriages
    1904 Henry Stokes Brown Spilsby vol 7a p 1454 2Q to either Eliza Jacklin or Elizabeth Cooke

1904 Henry Stokes Brown Shoreditch vol 1c p 216 2Q to either Emma Corner or Sarah Ann Spark

My bet is the first one.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Yellabelly View Post
    In a newspaper article about the death of my great grandfather in 1953 it said he suffered from gas poisoning after "he had been gassed in 1940 whilst in the service of the admirlty" but I cannot find any family who know his war history. How would I find out where he served and what actually happened to him
    From his marriage certificate and birth certificate of his children/one of his children - what was his occupation? Was he shown as serving in the RN/RM, or other armed service? - or was he perhaps a chemist or scientist? Do you know if he ever worked at Porton Down (Chemical Defence Establishment)?

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Odd - 2 sets of marriages
    Nope. Only one (Spilsby).

The Shoreditch one is Henry Samuel.

Reputation beyond repute

...also from the death certificate, what was his occupation and cause of death?

Yellabelly

Hi Thanks everyone.

I will have to check his death certificate but I think it was accidental death as he drown they thought he fell and couldn't get up part of a condition he had after the war.
    He married Elizabeth Cook in 1904 and at that time was a farm worker and family who vaguely remeber him seem to think post war he was a shepherd/farm worker for a while then worked at th local butlins as a night watchman.

I will try National Archives

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast