Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    patrick barnes

Hi all,

I was very fortunate enough to visit Cavan last year and spent some time trawling through the records office in Dublin. As a result I have discovered much information since posting my first thread on this website. My Granddad, Patrick Eaton born 1906 Cavan is shown on 1911 Census returns though he is residing in the House of Charity boarding school in Drogheda with his two elder brothers Charles and Edward. I now know that his father, Patrick Eaton died about 1909 in Cavan of Blights disease and his wife Katie Lee nee Sheridan remarried in 1910 to John Lee, though the youngest of the siblings, Anne remained with her mother.

None of the family were ever subject to this information since and not even my Mother was aware of her Dad being brought up in a boarding school. I think times must have been really hard back then. Patrick and Katie also had three other girls names Katie born 1895 Cavan, Nellie born 1896 Cavan and Mary born 1899 Cavan. I have no knowledge of what became of them since the taking of the 1901 census.

I would be most grateful if anyone can shine some light on how things would have been in a boarding school at that time or have any further information on the Eatons, Sheridans or McMahons who maybe ancestors of mine.

Many thanks,

Patrick
    Last edited by patrick barnes; 22-03-2012 at 6:03 PM. Reason: error

franny48

Hi Patrick,

Saw your post from today and really think your GrandMother must have had some relationship to my Granny's family of Breffni Tce. as all the names are identical. Granny had older sisters, Mary and Anne and then younger sister Nellie (who was christened Ellen)I know there was a Sheridan family living further down in Breffni as well as a McMahon. I met the granddaughter of the Sheridan family the last time I was in Cavan. I beleive Finni is related to me as her Granny was Rosie Connolly and Rosie would be first cousin to my Mom.
    Small world now....

patrick barnes

Hi both Franny and Finni,

I've been doing lots of extensive research in relation to the questions that I have been previously been asking. It's all been very confusing to me as there were so many Sheridans in Cavan at the time that I am interested in, so just to clarify things and in hope that you will both have someting concrete to go on, this is what I have so far. The katie Sheridan I am interested in was born about 1871, Cavan and married to my greatgrandad Patrick Eaton in 1893. I have today discovered that Katie is named as Catherine on her wedding certificate. They had seven children that I know of and were all living in Breffni Terrace and Millrock Street and before that, possibly later living in River Street according to my Mum and katie used to smoke a pipe and always dress in black.

katie and Patrick's children were Katie b: 1895, Nellie b: 1896, Marry b: 1899, Anne b: 1908 and the three younger boys, Charles b: 1902, Edward b: 1904 and Patrick, my Grandfather b: 1906. The boys were all sent to an orphanage in Drogheda after my great Grandfathers (Patrick Eaton) death in about 1909. His widow, Katie Eaton (nee Sheridan) remarried to a John Lee in 1910 and the youngest daughter Anne remained with them. This my family never knew anything about. I guess in those days some things were best kept quiet.

What I really would like to know is the names of the parents of Catherine (Katie) Eaton (nee Sheridan). As it stands at present, her parents were Patrick Sheridan and Anne Clerkin from the information that you have provided. Can you please confirm this as there is no mention on the Marraige certificat of her parents names. All the best and really look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Patrick.
    Last edited by patrick barnes; 19-07-2012 at 6:30 PM. Reason: need to add some dates.

amomcnally

Default Annie Eaton

Hi Patrick,

My name is Anne-Marie and somehow we are related!

My Grandmother (Annie Eaton) was your fathers sister. Annie moved from cavan to Dublin when she was 14 to live and work for her brother Edward (Eddie) and his wife Molly. They had sons, one of which was called Sonny.

Annie lived until 100 years of age and passed away on 28th of jan 2009. We were all VERY close!

My mother Marie, has recently started to try and find out more about her family and I found this page.

So far I am hitting walls with most things.

What I know from family stories are that when KAte remarried John Lee, he was a hard man who supposedly beat the childrena nd that is one of the reasons they were sent away. I Know that Annie was also sent to Drogheda to work when she was very young. I have no idea what happened the other girls.

Edward lived in Crublin in Dublin 12 and had a son Eugene whom I think is still around the same area.

I am trying to figure out how to access my mothers birth records as Annie's life seems to have been less than ordinary in relation to her marriage to Thomas Redmond in 1948 and my mothers birth. It's possible there may be an adoption involved but this would have been very unusual in those times considering she was not a wealthy woman.

Any info we can swap would be most helpful!

patrick barnes

Hi Anne,
    Very pleased to hear from you. I have only just logged on to this site having not used it for some time so what a suprise to see your message. At the moment I'm in the midde of teaching a class so not able to pass on what I know but when I get home later this evening, I will post to you what I have and I'm certain I'll have a few questions that you may be able to answer for me. Chat soon

Paddy Barnes

patrick barnes

Hi Anne,

Well, so many brick wall and many questions it makes it difficult to know where to begin. In relation to Katie Eaton born about 1895 Belfast City, I believe she was employed a a domestis servant as stated in the 1911 Irish census to Philip Reilly in Stradone. Anne, I now know about but I have no idea what became of Nellie born about 1896 also in Belfast City. I know of Eddie because my mum (Dimples) has very fond memories of him and believed that he was born in Dublin though I know he was born in Cavan as I have his birth certificat (copy). There was also an older brother, Charles Eaton. All three brothers were in St. Vincents House of Charity boys orphanage from a very early age. I would really like to know what happend to Charles.

My Mother bye the way had ten siblings to Patrick Eaton, your uncle Eddies younger brother. All born and raised in Caven. I assume that you have read all the previous postins so you will be aware that your greatgrand parents where Patrick Eaton born about 1864 Cavan and katie Lee Sheridan. I have no idea who Katie Lee Sheridans parents where but have been trying to find out for some time. Patrick Eaton's father was Chares Eaton born about 1835 in Cavan and was a green grocer formerly apple dealer. There are a few very interesting articles about him in the early local Cavan news papers. Nothing serious but had a few clashes with the law.

I would like to know if you are aware of what happend to Charles Eaton, your grans brother. What was your Uncle Eddie doing in Dublin. What was Eddies wife, Molly maiden name. How long did they remain in Drogheda and would you happen to know what great granpa Patrick Eaton was doing in Belfast City during 1895.

Now I'm almost certain that you'r thinking, big mistake contacting me, so many questions. I do have more information about our ancestry but this is of the top of my head and perhaps best share info little but often for it all to make good sence. If you need any more questions answering or hit any further brick walls, please share with me and I will try to help.

All the best,

Paddy Barnes

amomcnally

Default Confused!

Hi Paddy, how great to touch base!!! I must admit this is my first forray into Genealogy and I am mega confused so i am going to provide a bullet list of what I know (or think I know) so far, maybe then we can compare??

- Annie Redmond (nee Eaton) born 1908 in Cavan is my Grandmother. She bore one child, Marie (My mother). Her Husband was Thomas Redmond married in 1948 in Dublin North. He died in 1957. My nana never remarried.

-Annie had 3 brothers and 3 sister. The boys I now know grew up in the Orphanage. The girls I had no idea about. I'm not sure Nana did either except that she knew one sister was living in Suffolk in England. Interesting to note they were born in Belfast.

-Annie's mother Katie Lee (Previously Eaton) nee Sheridan. I think her Mothers name was Anne Clerkin. She rremarried to John Lee after Patrick (MY great Grandad) death in 1909 and the only child in the new marriage was my nana Annie who was 3 at the time of the marriage.

_Nana spent some time in Drogheda before moving to Dublin aged 14/15 to live and work with Eddie and Molly. I do not know her maiden name. They had children called Sonny, Eugene, Dolores. Eugene later lived in 15 Cashel Road Crumlin Dublin 12.

So if Annie Eaton is my grandmother, and her brother Patrick was your grandfather, does that make us cousins of some sort???

Really great to hear from you. Where in teh world are you? I'm in Dublin so is my mum!

patrick barnes

Hi Anne, I thought I'd already posted this message but for some reason it did'nt send so I'm trying once again. You mentioned Anne Clerkin and that jogged my memeory from a previous post on this site. I have done some research and Anne Clerkin, born 1851 in Cavan was married to Patrick Sheridan, born 1841 Cavan and were married in Cavan 1881. Their fathers were Peter Clerkin and Phill Sheridan as stated on the Parish records though sadly I dont know who their Mothers names.

Yes we are definately related as my grandad Patrick Eaton born 1906 Cavan was your Grandmothers older brother. I new the boys were in an orphange because they are listed in the 1911 Irish census but I've seen no record of the girls been in an orphanage in Drogheda. Do you have any records of exactly where they were or is this what you were informed. Do you know the name of the girls orphanage?

My grandad Patrick earned his living as a tailor in Cavan and I believe this may have been a skill that he learned whilst in care, thats why I asked if you knew what Uncle Eddie did for a living. I assume that you have no idea what became of the eldest of the boys, Charles? If you can provide me with your mums place of birth and date, I may be able to assist you with tracing her birth certificate information as I have many resources at my disposal on line. Only to happy to help. Where was Thomas Redmond born, what year and what was his occupation. This information would help alot.

My place in the world at present is Nuneaton "Chav town". Funny thing is I was in Dublin only a few years ago. Had a great time and hope to return when it becomes less expensive. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Paddy
    Last edited by patrick barnes; 29-09-2012 at 4:58 PM. Reason: spelling error

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by patrick barnes View Post

I've seen no record of the girls been in an orphanage in Drogheda. Do you have any records of exactly where they were or is this what you were informed. Do you know the name of the girls orphanage?

Paddy
    A lot of institutions such as hospitals and orphanages, only used the residents initials when submitting the census returns in Ireland. So for example Ellen Eaton might be just E E aged 15 etc. So if you think the 3 girls were in an orphanage you should search the census using that criterion. Bear in mind that they might have kept the surname Eaton or used their mother’s new surname. Adoption law was only introduced in Ireland in the 1940s and prior to that any surname might be used for the children, if a mother remarried.
    ELWYN

thecouch

"So if Annie Eaton is my grandmother, and her brother Patrick was your grandfather, does that make us cousins of some sort???"

It makes you both second cousins to each other!

Cheers,
    thecouch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast