Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    patrick barnes

Cool 1911 Co Cavan census returns for Eaton

Hi, I've spent some time exploring the 1911 census returns for Co Cavan in the hope that I would find my great Grand parents, Patrick Eaton and his Wife Kate Lee, formaly Sheridan. I know that they lived in or close to Breffni terrace or River Street from information on various certificates I aquired of their children.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I have a hunch that the Eatons were protestants and perhaps avoided the census as they were required to provide their religion. My question is, would being a protestant at that time caused problems living within a mainly Catholic society? If so, why?

My theory is based on my Mother informing me that her Father never went to church with them though did do the rosery at home and with a name like Eaton, perhaps not the usual Catholic name.

I have also considered the name being mis spelt. I would be very grateful if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

Regards,

Patrick

pattenwalsh

There's 3 year old Anne Eaton shown as a step-daughter in Breffni Terrace (Cavan Urban,Cavan) and also in the same area is a Sheridan family with a Kate aged 24 but shown as single.

patrick barnes

Wink Ann Eaton 1909 Co Cavan

Hi, Thankyou for your reply. I had noticed Ann Eaton in Breffni Terrace and have considered that she may be related, though my Mother knows nothing of her Father Patrick Eaton born 1906, as having an older Sister. The Kate Sheridan on the same page is'nt the same person I'm researching though could also be related, but thanks for having a look.

Regards,

Patrick

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by patrick barnes View Post
    Hi, I've spent some time exploring the 1911 census returns for Co Cavan in the hope that I would find my great Grand parents, Patrick Eaton and his Wife Kate Lee, formaly Sheridan. I know that they lived in or close to Breffni terrace or River Street from information on various certificates I aquired of their children.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I have a hunch that the Eatons were protestants and perhaps avoided the census as they were required to provide their religion. My question is, would being a protestant at that time caused problems living within a mainly Catholic society? If so, why?

My theory is based on my Mother informing me that her Father never went to church with them though did do the rosery at home and with a name like Eaton, perhaps not the usual Catholic name.

I have also considered the name being mis spelt. I would be very grateful if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

Regards,

Patrick
    Well some of mine went "north of the border" and didn't spend that night at their residence.....even today it is known to happen!!

finni

hi patrick,i am new to this site and you may have all your information now,but my mother remembers a family called eaton who lived in number 2 river street in cavan the ladys name was mary eaton, she had a son pat or patrick who married alice mc mahon,they also had a son patrick, and daughters alice,eva and phylis who was the eldest,they lived for a time in tullac mongan terrace, and all (except phylis ) moved to england around 1956 or so.i think they may be connected to you,

patrick barnes

Hi Finni, sorry that I haven't responded to your message only I haven't used this site for some time now. My Mother was Kathleen nee Eaton born in Cavan in 1940. Her parents were Patrick Eaton and Alice nee McMahon. They came to Lincoln city, England in 1957. I have tried to get in touch with Phylis on a few occasions though with no joy. The Mary Eaton you mention was my Great granma. She was married to a Patrick Eaton. Mary's maiden name was Sheridan. This is one of the names that I'm researching. Thank you for contacting me and if you have any additional information or know anyone who may have old photos of the Eatons from that time, I will be very interested. My email address is patrick DOT barnes AT nwhc DOT ac DOT uk

All the best

Patrick
    Last edited by Jan1954; 18-02-2010 at 4:44 PM. Reason: Email address edited to deter spammers

finni

hi patrick,im so pleased to hear from you,my grandmother was rosie connolly nee sheridan no relation of yours i dont think so,as for photos people were so poor i doubt anyone had a camera,its so sad really,just this past while i have been interested in my family tree and as you know you can find out shocking stuff.people died so young and often so tragically.you know phyliss still lives in cavan she has a large family,i have often regretted not paying enough atention to my grannie when she would tell stories about the half acre, when i looked at the 1911 cencus i couldnt get over how many familys lived on the that hill over 50 familys in little tiny houses, the people back then had it tough but they all looked out for each other and many are still life long friends,have you ever been to cavan? it is a nice quiet place, alot more modern than your mothers time, but still quiet. The 67 anniversary of the convent fire was on wednesday and you know someone actually put up some flowers , a teddy and a list of all the names of the young girls who died,very sad. thanks for chatting,finni

patrick barnes

Hi Finni,
    Once again, sorry for a late reply. In my haste, I gave you some slightly incorrect information within my last email. My Grandads "Patrick Eaton" mothers name was Kate Lee Sheridan married to my great grandad, Patrick Eaton. So I'm now very interested in the Mary you have mentioned. I'm sure theres a connection somewhere. I have been to Cavan but it was many years ago with my Mum. We stayed at Phylis house and I can remember we had to collect our water in a bucket from a well down the lane. That was about 1966. I can also remember sliding down some very steep hills with my cousins and wearing out the back of pants. My mum and some of her sisters whent back to Cavan some years ago to visit Phylis and take a walk down memory lane. I'm very interested in the half acre you mention. Can you tell me some more as I always like to ask my mum. Always brings a smile to her face when I help her to remember something.

Patrick

franny48

Kate would be my Granny and she was the daughter of Patrick Sheridan and Anne Clerkin. They lived at 1 Breffni Tce. for many years and there was other family in that area nearby.
    Quote Originally Posted by pattenwalsh View Post
    There's 3 year old Anne Eaton shown as a step-daughter in Breffni Terrace (Cavan Urban,Cavan) and also in the same area is a Sheridan family with a Kate aged 24 but shown as single.

franny48

Hello Finni,

Is your Rosie Connolly the mother of Christina and Nanny of Cavan? If so , you and I are cousins, as my Granny Kate Sheridan was sister to Rosie's Mom, Julia. Interested to know if you are indeed related to that family. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Frances Miller

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast