Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    patrick barnes

Hi all,

I was very fortunate enough to visit Cavan last year and spent some time trawling through the records office in Dublin. As a result I have discovered much information since posting my first thread on this website. My Granddad, Patrick Eaton born 1906 Cavan is shown on 1911 Census returns though he is residing in the House of Charity boarding school in Drogheda with his two elder brothers Charles and Edward. I now know that his father, Patrick Eaton died about 1909 in Cavan of Blights disease and his wife Katie Lee nee Sheridan remarried in 1910 to John Lee, though the youngest of the siblings, Anne remained with her mother.

None of the family were ever subject to this information since and not even my Mother was aware of her Dad being brought up in a boarding school. I think times must have been really hard back then. Patrick and Katie also had three other girls names Katie born 1895 Cavan, Nellie born 1896 Cavan and Mary born 1899 Cavan. I have no knowledge of what became of them since the taking of the 1901 census.

I would be most grateful if anyone can shine some light on how things would have been in a boarding school at that time or have any further information on the Eatons, Sheridans or McMahons who maybe ancestors of mine.

Many thanks,

Patrick
    Last edited by patrick barnes; 22-03-2012 at 6:03 PM. Reason: error